Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stiff, powerful flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 7, 2002.

1. I've got a real itch to put some flats on my Dean Edge Custom 5 now that it's sitting unused in my closet. Even though it's got a skinny little neck, the truss rod is fairly high quality and the wenge fretboard adds a lot of stiffness and weather resistance. Since the string spacing is so narrow, it's a great bass for pick play, and when I use a pick I like stiff strings and high action.

SO, I was thinking of putting some really high-tension flats on there, something along the line of Rotosound or Labella Deep Talkin' Bass. Any other suggestions? I don't really care about vintage tone or anything of that sort; what I do care about is a solid low B, since the bass is very fussy about what one uses for a B string. (I've only had success with DR, Pedulla, and Fodera.)

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    GHS (s/s) Precision Flats are pretty stiff (IME).

You could get a "regular" set (55-70-90-105), and
    then add a 126 single for the low B.

3. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    The highest tension flats I've discovered are the Pyramid flats. Great tone and certainly high tension. Based on your description they may be the ticket.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Also check out Lakland Joe Osborne flats...made by GHS, I believe.

5. Anybody have the tension info for flats?

I have info for D'Addario, GHS, Thomastik, and nothing for anybody else.

I know the Rotosound are really high tension also. I'm wondering if one is getting into trouble putting on strings that are significantly higher than what the instrument was made to accodmodate.

It appears the typical 0.45 to 0.105 is around 166 pounds total tension.

6. i have fender 9050s on my washburn, they're very stiff and cool sounding. couldn't tell you about the B, as i'm a 4-stringer. not sure if they even make 5 string sets, but it's worth looking into.

7. JC Mags

JC Mags

Jan 2, 2002
    Since this is a thread for falts, I was wondering, what is the most recommended strings for a fretless bass guitar? Round wounds or Flat wounds? I used to have a Washburn XB600 Fretless with Roundwounds. What's the difference in sound with flat wounds?