1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stiffness of Modulus Slap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trev5269, Mar 18, 2009.

1. trev5269

trev5269

Dec 2, 2007
    I learned to slap on my late 80's japanese fender jazz that i bought used and it had emg p/j pickups in it. This thing had a fat slap tone, definitely rough around the edges, cuz it was a 200$ bass, but when i would hit that E string it was FAT. I got a modulus Q5, dig the tone, especially with a pick. However, something just doesn't feel right when I slap that thing. The E string feels all stiff and doesn't fully sound out when I hit it. It just seems dampened and of a lesser volume than the rest of the strings. The Jazz just had every string sound more thick and full, and when I slapped it, it just had a feel that I could groove easier to. The stiffness of the modulus is getting to me. Is there any way I could fix this? : string recommendations, is the the scale length thats messing with me?, or maybe adjusting the pickup or bridge height of each string? help!!

2. This is an odd one. I can only recommend that you expiriment a bit and gather more info. You may have a flawed instrument, but I doubt it. First check the basics. Is the string wound right and sitting in the saddles and nut correctly? Not calling you a dufus, but on expensive stuff the tendency is to panic first and check the easy stuff second. If so play around with your setup. I always got great slap sounds out of mine, but it wasn't a quantum. Don't give up. The more things you try and rule out the more people will be able to help.

It could also be that you played it with a pick and broke its mojo :)

3. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I have heard that Modulus basses have fragile mojo...

You might try some lighter gauge/looser strings. That should help with the feel at the very least, if not the tone.

You could also experiment with the pickup height(s) like you mentioned. Sometimes raising the pickup a bit can really improve the tone.

Definitely check the basics first like lousybassplayer says...

Good luck dialing in the Modulus.

4. Aren't 5 strings moduli 35'', that means more tension and the need to hit harder the strings. Otherwise, lighter gauge is recommended.

5. trev5269

trev5269

Dec 2, 2007
    can u give me some examples of some lighter gauge strings that would sound good?

6. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    Lighter gauges. Made that mistake with my 'vette, only recently did they break in nicely after a couple months, but until then it was like slapping a tin can.

7. I would adjust the bridge height. In my experience this worked wonders for slap for any bass I had. Im a Modulus freak so just be patient and do some tampering.

8. trev5269

trev5269

Dec 2, 2007
    yeah, I just haven't fooled around with it yet. I have a feeling it is just sensitive and I need to find that sweet spot

9. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    fresh strings make a major difference with my Q4
    I usually put on d'addario XL light or med-light
    get SS strings if you want extra bright

10. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    The bottom line is they will sound different. A 35" graphite active 5 will not sound like a 34" passive wood 4. I have a Modulus Jazz and a Fender Jazz and the bottom end on the Fender is fuller. You can experiment with pickups/strings etc etc. I would be surprised if you will get the same tone. They really are 2 different basses.

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Like others have said, you're getting more tension from the 35" scale. If you're currently running 45-125, you may want to go with 40-120 or even lighter. I run 45-130 DR Lo Riders on my Q5. I like the high-tension, finger style tone but it doesn't sound as good for slapping as my 34" basses with the same gauge strings.

12. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    It's already been mentioned, but...

1.) Make sure the action is not set too high
    2.) Try some different strings (I liked D'Addario XL's when I had my Q5)
    3.) A Q5 will NOT sound like a passive jazz bass.

I slapped with my Q5 quite a bit and was always happy with the tone considering the neck doesn't have any wood in it. However, I always missed the single coil, passive, jazz bass tone.