1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

stiffness

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kimstevens, May 1, 2009.

1. kimstevens

kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    Anyone have an opinion as to which is stiffer, satine (bloodwood) or wenge?

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Would be easy, I think, to measure. Put a dial indicator under a fixed-size piece, zero it out, then put a suitable weight on it. Measure, rinse, later repeat on other wood.

3. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    My gut reaction is Wenge no doubt, I'm sure there are scientific comparisons somewhere rather than listening to my gut. :)
    For a neck you can't go wrong with Wenge or even strips to help stiffen a neck.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  5. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    According to The Encyclopedia of Wood, wenge is actually less stiff than bloodwood (I would have thought the opposite).

Of course, it also depends on which piece of wenge you are comparing to which piece of bloodwood...there could be some difference depending on the conditions in which the tree grew...

Why are you curious to know?

6. kimstevens

kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    First, thanks very much for your replies... I am curious to know in order to choose wood for a neck. Probably both would be just fine, but I thought more experienced opinions would be helpful, as they were.

7. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    My luthier said bloodwood is stiffer. He showed me on two similar pieces of timber with weight, the wengee bended easier than the bloodwood.

Perhaps you can have a bloodwood/wengee laminate neck :D

8. The Insane

The Insane

Jul 12, 2007
    Germany
    Yep, in my experience Bloodwood is indeed more stiff than Wenge and even dents ways less easier.

9. Yep - bloodwood stiffer. Both would be fine (and heavy) for a neck. Bloodwood is WAY easier to finish - almost no pores to fill unlike the huge canyons you have with wenge.