Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stiletto Studio 5 vs SR905

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lambofgod814, Sep 1, 2005.

1. I am currently borrowing my one of my uncle's basses and I need to buy one so I can return his back to him. That being said, I have tried out many basses and have pretty much gotten it down to 2 basses, the Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 and the Ibanez SR905. I was wondering what everyone's opinions were on both of these and if anyone owns either of them, can you tell me if they stand up to use well, sound good, etc. etc.

I am also open to suggestions of other basses I should try

Thanks in advance, J.

Note: I am looking to buy a 5 string and I play mostly metal and rock i.e. Mudvayne, Slipknot, Korn, Iron Maiden, etc.

2. i guess nobody wants to help me :crying:
    cmon somebody has to be able to :help:

3. the Ibanez isn't bad, IMO get a Warwick

4. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Fender MIA Jazz V. Period.

5. I love the sound of a MIA Fender Jazz, but I haven't heard the Low B on the 5-string version... The active Deluxe Jazz is awsome though!

Maybe not the perfect tone for mudvayne, Slipknot kinda stuff though, but thats up2 you? Of those bands you mentioned, which one's tone are you looking for?

6. im sorta looking for a fieldy-esque martinie tone (thats the best description i can give)

i would get a warwick but i dont have the budget for one

btw what does mia stand for

7. MIA = Made In America

Yeah, well if you are after the fieldy/Martinie tone, then a Fender is not the best choice...

I would go with the Ibanez then, I got a buddy that gets pretty close to Ryan M's tone with an Ibanez SR and some hot playing, but you could also check out a Rockbass if you would prefer a more warwick kinda tone - the active corvettes are pretty nice and at a decent price.

8. i still face the problem of budget im leaning towards the schecter because it is 150+ dollars cheaper than the ibanez and thats 150 bucks i could put towards better p ups or an amp

9. I played the Schecter 5 string and loved it. It feels like a very well constructed bass and sounded very lively. I dont know what kinda rig your playing through, but the Schecter sounded like it had alot of room soundwise to work with. I would rather have the Schecter than the Rockbass. In my opinion, Id rather play the Schecter than the real Warwick, but thats my opinion. If you like the way the Schecter feels, then grab it up. But if youre a "Lamb Of God Guy", play a Peavey Millenium!

10. ive never tried the milleniums but "that guy from lamb of god" (John Campbell) plays them
    do you have any experience with them

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Of the two choices, I'd go with the Schecter...but if you're open to other basses @ that level/price you can also check out the 5 string offerings from:

ESP, Tune (great design!), and Yamaha (I own a RBX 765A 5 string and LOVE it!)

12. I have played the Millenium, but to me it just feels like all the other Peaveys, except the Cirrus. Im not a big fan. Im from Virginia, same as the Lamb guys, and you see alot of Peavey dealers here and he's been playing one for quite some time. To me, Its all about the feel of the bass, and out of the two you listed, the Schecter is the nicer. Campbell has a guitar tech and a really nice Mesa rig, so even his Milleniums dont sound like Milleniums. Stick with the Schecter. Oh, and BTW, Lamb Of God Fargin' Rule! Virginia Metal!

13. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Th played both the Ibanez and the Schector. Basically, its all a matter of taste. The Schecter has EMG, which many people swear by the tone they get out of them. WThe Ibanez Has Barts (I believe), which many people swear by aswell. Personally, I prefered the Schector, infact, I hope on owning one real soon. Not only because I could get a great tone out of it, but the finish on it is the sexiest thing in the world.

14. thanks for all the help guys ill have to think about it some more i guess but keep the suggestions coming

15. werner vw

werner vw

Mar 26, 2004
    paris
    hi, i have a stiletto studio 6 and it's a very good basse. Very versatile and great unpluged resonance.