Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Still a bit of concave neck bow with truss rod tightened all the way

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Mar 4, 2006.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I recently bought a Squer as a project bass which seems one hell of a bass for the money. Its neck is the only thing that seems to suffer from "cheap bass syndrome". It's a thin J-shaped neck which I can't seem to get straight.

I tightened the truss rod all the way and there's still some concave bow left which causes buzz high up the neck. Does anyone have any advice for stubborn necks like this? I imagine using a higher string gauge would make the problem even worse? Thanks in advance.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Check down the page to the thread "almost maxed out truss rod" for a possible fix.

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I checked that thread, so "elongating" the truss rod with a bunch of washers is the key, right? How do I remove the truss rod nut, though? :meh:

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You just back it off, turning counter clockwise using the appropriate tool until it comes off.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Okay, one stupid question: the truss rod nut is the thing that the allen wrench you use for truss rod adjustment fits into and whose opening you can see when you look into the truss rod hole, right?

I had no idea truss rods had a removable nut until today.
    I'm still learning how to tinker with basses so please bear with my stupid questions, will ya? :oops:

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If the neck is concave you want to unscrew, not screw.
    A neck isn't at all supposed to be straight anyway or it will buzz.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Grrr. I'm never gonna figure this out.
    My neck has bow in it which looks like this:

)

I take it this is what causes the strings to buzz above the 12th fret because it means there's very little room between the strings and the fretboard above the 12th fret.

Thus, I want it to be like this: ( .

On Gary Willis' setup site it says if the strings only buzz above the 12th fret, I need to tighten the truss rod

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes the truss rod nut is the thing you put the allen key in.

Are you saying your neck, when the strings are in tune, is back bowed (bowed away from the strings)? If that is the case it needs to be loosened, not tightened, as pointed out earlier.

If it won't loosen enough when you back off the nut to the point where it's loose and putting no pressure on the neck, then that's another problem with a different solution.

If it's bowed towards the strings then the nut needs to be tightened.

I hope this helps clear it up. At first these things seem a bit confusing so don't feel ashamed to ask questions. When I first started I was completely ignorant about setting up my instrument. I didn't even know there was a truss rod and that necks could be adjusted.

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I see, thanks for clearing that up. I find it a bit weird that Gary Willis' setup site doesn't tell you what to do if your neck is bowed towards the strings or bowed away from the strings.

I still have to wait a bit before I can make further adjustments, though, I last adjusted the neck yesterday at 10PM-ish.