Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Still can't decide: Fender Marcus Miller or Skyline Darryl Jones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Fender Marcus Miller

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Skyline Darryl Jones

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. STFU

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    The Skyline Darryl Jones (passive) will run right about $1000 shipped.

The Fender Marcus Miller w/ the upgrade to an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp (see OBP-3 thread in setup) will also run right around $1000.

There is actually a place in town that carries the Marcus Miller for the same cost as online (amazingly enough). They are letting me test out one on hold for another customer tomorrow. Tried a Skyline Joe Osborn and liked it. There is just something about the MM that I also like. For what its worth, I have heard the MM is really heavy. I currently play a 6 string bass, so it shouldn't be any worse that what I have now.

2. I've got a MM and honestly, I think it feels more solid than the Darryl Jones...I think the Joe Osborn is a little more solid than the DJ...maybe I'm crazy. I like the look of the DJ though...

3. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Marcus Miller all the way man, I used to play one before I got my custom jazz from my friend, it was a kick ass bass and it has a great name backing it up.

4. My vote is for the Marcus Miller......I'm a sucker for jazz basses!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The Marcus and the Daryl aren't even in the same league. For those of you Daryl non believers, TRY ONE. I vote Daryl.

6. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I voted STFU...

"STFU, do yourself a favour and get a Darryl" :D :bassist:

In all honesty I think you should try both basses and decide for yourself, sure we can give you our opinions but you have to try one for yourself. Someone once said(very aptly too) that choosing a bass is like choosing a new pair of shoes, you have to try and see if they fit.

I'm saving up for a Darryl. They're one of the best looking jazz basses out there IMO. They're fitted with Aero pickups, which were very highly rated by Bass Player Magazine(they did a shootout a couple of years ago or so).

7. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I can feel the love! (now if only the 3rd person who voted STFU would confess..

Leaning towards the DJ. Customer service after the sale is big with me. Hard to compete with Lakland's and Steve Barr's

8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Well what are you waiting for then? Do it, man. Look, let me make this easier for you... someone's bound to start a "Show your Darryl Jones sig" thread. :D

That's a little lame but seriously, good luck with your decision, do let us know your choice when you've made up your mind. :cool:

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Thanks for the comments above.

First thing I'd say you should consider when deciding between these two basses is the fingerboard radius. The MM has a 7.25" board radius and the DJ has a 10" radius...big difference in my opinion but YMMV.

10. I vote for Darryl Jones.

Dan (Lakin) is the man! His product lines are so impressive! He's done all the right things. His Skylines have charted new territory.

This is God speaking to Sheepdog through the poor, helpless vessel of Mr. Goody Good:

"Order your Darryl Jones from Dude NOW!"

11. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Not only does he produce great basses, he's an awesome guy. Everybody spoke of how cool and nice this guy was and I didn't really believe them until I exchanged quite a number of emails with him. The people on this board sure aren't kidding!
    A nice Lakland catalogue is on the way. I'll keep that as a collector's item.

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    pssst....Not wanting to take business away from myself but someone might find a black DJ just listed on eBay for $500 No reserve if they wanted to look for it. Someone won one and is offing it. :)

13. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey Dude I emailed you several days ago, did you receive it?

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yup...was on vacation last week and had a log jam of emails while I was gone...almost dug out now and will get you shipping estimate within the hour.

15. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I Vote Lakland all the way, I have reciently descovered what "I had been missing" in fenders, but I still prefer Lakland basses, I love those things...

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  17. Dude, you are one of 10 people that actually know's the difference in the radius of jazz necks!

[​IMG]
    Treena

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I don't know why because it makes a huge difference to me. :meh:

Dan was surprised when I made this request and said that he's never had anyone ask before.

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Airsick Pilot,

The cheapest way to ship to Singapore is via USPS but although they have a max package length plus girth of 108" (bass in case and box is about 100" total) the max length via USPS to Singapore is 46" and this package would be about 51" in length.

Otherwise I'd have to ship it via UPS and it would run you about $275 just for shipping!! :eek:

Now I could remove the neck and pack it up in a gig bag and make the package smaller than 46" in length and it'd cost you about $150 for postage but you'd have to reinstall the neck and do a setup on your end.

Do you know of an alternative shipper that you've used in the past?

20. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Replied you via email. :bassist: