Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Still cant find the sound i'm looking for

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Supernova67, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    I went to GC a little while ago and basically hit up every music store along the way looking for a good head and cab. I tried basically every combination available and still can get that sound i'm looking for. i need something thats loud, smooth, and has plenty of low end. Kinda that warm gooey tone. Basically if syrup had a sound.....
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    -Travis

2. I'll be the first to ask. What bass(es?) are you playing?

3. If you've tried a bunch of amps and can't find your tone you need to look for another bass first :bassist:

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Share with us a bass tone that you have heard that you think most closely resembles what you are looking for. One man's warm and gooey is another's bland and muddy.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    and while you're giving us all that info, tell us what exactly you did play and what it was about each of them you didnt like ;)

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    For reference, his profile states that he has the following basses:

Squier Mb-5 5-string
    Rogue 4-string

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Sounds like you're looking for the tone of all tube stuff to me.

Otherwise, maybe Eden or Sansamp stuff...into some nx12 cabs...

8. poundround

poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Forget a new head and cab. Sell them things a get a real bass. :eyebrow:

9. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    (imagine bass notes followed by Bono's unique voice wailing...):
    DDDDDDDD-AAAAAAAA-BBBBBBBB-GGGGGGGGG-"...and i still haven't found what i'm looking for..."

:D :D :D

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Whoa, you do need to upgrade the bass situation. My grandpa used to say "you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear".

-Mike

11. Dude........DUDE........*sigh* You're not going to get any good sounds out of those basses.

And did you guys know Rogue makes a $40 guitar?

Really though. If you're trying to get good sounds from a $90 bass, you could have a Mesa 400+ and it wouldn't even make a difference.

What amp setup do you currently have?

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The sound starts, first and foremost in your fingers. Before looking for the holy grail in tone from an amp, look at your technique(s). That needs to be your starting point.

13. yeah, the way you described it as the sound of syrup, It does sound more like the tone of an all tube amp, but like everyone else said, without a decent bass, you just trying to put makeup on an ugly dog...

14. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Great visual!!:D

Well, maybe not. BUt you know what I mean.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Did they have a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout Combo for you to try? From the tone that you are after, that's the first (fairly widely available) combo that comes to mind.

Tom.

16. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I've tried to put makeup on an ugly dog before. It didn't make her look any better.

But it did make her look hilarious.

17. well DONT go for a Trace GP7 300 watt combo, you wont have any luck :scowl:

18. Save your money, and get what you really want.....

....hmm, warm and gooey eh? How about......

a 1960's P Bass into a 1960's Ampeg SVT?

Forget the syrup, we're talkin' chocolate fudge, man!

19. Uhhh Trace gear not warm sounding? I seem to remember a similar post, nay it was a thread that just bagged a Trace combo with no explanation of why! Tell us why the Trace combo isn't worth looking at.

20. Hey, you love Trace? Well, I love Mesa Boogie.......

...All tube amps will sound warmer than solid-state, but my Mesa Bass 400 is known as a Hi-Fi Tube amp...and Trace's are probably even more so(modern-sounding)........that's what they are really known for,(correct me if I am wrong) kinda like Eden.....definately capable of "warmth", but I went out on a limb and suggested the amp that defines "lo-fidelity", and "warmth"-----Ampeg SVT.......*very thick syrup* :p

My Mesa gets dirty in a very articulate way.....more harsh, and he doesn't want that...... :)