1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Still Car Hunting...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Mar 19, 2009.

1. For those have read my previous 800 threads asking question about cars, you might know that I'm currently car hunting. I need a new second-hand car by the end of May. I've narrowed my choices, and have the following restrictions:

1. No German imports. Everything about them is too expensive.
    2. No Asian imports
    3. Only American cars, because everything about them are at their right now
    4. Budget ~10,000 USD
    5. Something sporty, mildly luxurious, or preferably both.
    6. The bigger and safer the car, the better.

Here's what I'm currently looking at...
    Hummer H3
    Cadillac CTS 04+
    Ford Mustang 05+
    Last resort choices: Mazda RX-8, Infiniti G35

Any other recommendations?

2. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Funny, I always thought Mazda was an Asian import.

3. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Ford Escape

Toyota Matrix (they're made in Canada).

I drive a 2004 Matrix XR. I really, really, really like it. Good cargo space, fuel efficient... a fun little car to drive.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You want a recent model Hummer or Caddy for 10k? Good luck.

Chevy, Pontiac, Ford, Dodge and Chrysler all have relatively luxurious models.

I picked up a 2007 Chevy HHR for $12k, good luck finding what you want for the price you want.

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I wouldn't trust a '04 Caddy under 10k. You're asking for way more repair costs than a mid-90's Mercedes at the same price.

6. I would not get a Hummer.

7. That leaves me with 05 Mustang, Mazda RX-8, and an early 21st century G35. If you had to choose between the Stang and the RX-8, which would you pick?

8. steve21

steve21 Banned

The RX-8.

9. G35 would be my choice of your listed cars. but good luck finding one in your budget.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Did a quick search for you:

According to Autotrader in the North Jersey Area:

Hummer H3 (all years)
    Highest Price: $51,753
    Lowest Price: $20,995
    Average Price: $39,338

Cadillac CTS (2004+)
    Highest price: $69,495
    Lowest price: $16,995
    Average price: $42,422

Ford Mustang (2005+)
    Highest price: $50,370
    Lowest price: $9,995
    Average price: $26,686

Mazda RX-8 (all years)
    Highest price: $14,995
    Lowest price: $11,799
    Average price: $13,263

Infinity G35 (all years)
    Highest price: $29,995
    Lowest price: $9,995
    Average price: $18,645

Frankly, out of those you listed, the Hummer and Caddy are out of the question, you wouldn't be happy with the 'Stang in your price range with it's weak V6 and nothing sporty about them, and the G35 would be incredibly high mileage, and the Mazda hard to find and more than you want.

I think you need to set your expectations lower, or your price point higher.

11. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Between them, I'd go for the RX8.

How come you correlate a tight budget with cars such as a Mustang and a Hummer? If you manage to find one at the price you say, you'll still have to pay pretty hefty sums simply for rolling it.

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Nice post.

Looking like the Mazda, which I drive a 3, and your used 05 Stang.

13. As of Mustangs, as long as it's 2005 or later, I'm happy with it. I won't be racing or anything with it, so as long as it runs without breaking down too often, and looks good, I'm happy. And the Mustang is the least expensive of all the cars on the list, and since I'm not buying new, the used ones should be quite affordable. As of Hummers, I'm banking on the fact that GM will discontinue them and sell everything at a very cheap price.

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Buying a Hummer is one of the few ways you can absolutely guarantee you'll be driving an orphan with no service or parts.

The OP is all over the board, and CANNOT be serious - no one seriously considers a Hummer, a Cadillac and a Mustang. They are totally different types of vehicles.

Just decide what KIND of car you want to drive and pick the one in that category from the list. This endless questioning makes no sense at all. :scowl::rollno:

15. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    But buying an expensive car on the cheap doesn't make his running costs any cheaper. That's what I meant.

A hummer, new or not, will guzzle gas at a pretty high rate. Also these great-looking 32-inch tires that come with it are on the soft side. You'll replace them more often. And if GM discontinues them, the price of replacement parts will skyrocket, rendering your initial strategy kind of useless.

A Mustang is a better idea, but again, the more money you put in the initial buy, the less risks there are of a later breakdown. And it's still a pretty heavy drinker, if you're so tight on budget.

16. Out of the cars you listed, I would have to look for a Mustang. The V6 model can definitely be had around your price range, but I would search hard to find the GT. I think you would appreciate the difference.

17. Just a question.

Have you gone out and driven any of these vehicles, or any from your previous threads?
    It's really the best way to find out which you will like.

18. Yes, I've been testing a new car every week. Well, almost every week. I don't seem to notice too much difference between the cars I've been looking at unless we're comparing Audi's Quattro in the snow vs. 1998 Cobras in the rain.

19. You must notice some difference. You listed cars from a Mini to a Mac truck (the Hummer). The weather shouldn't have much if anything to do with it.

Okay, so you must have driven some 15 cars by my calculations and must have some idea what your preferences are. American, European? Coupe, sport sedan, truck? They're all very different.

Man, if it were me I would have bought the first POS I could find with 10G's burning a hole in my pocket. :D Not really but you get the idea. My first car was more about freedom than "this vs. that. Well, my main point was driving from car lot to car lot would give you a good indication on what you can afford and may narrow down your choices. You're a very picky shopper. ;)

20. Well, AWD is cool, RWD is ok, FWD is weird. Not a big fan of trucks or SUVs (other than Hummer). European cars are too expensive for my taste. Sedan is slightly preferred over Coupe, but it doesn't matter much. I want a car that's fun to drive, or a car that I can drive proudly. In other words, a sporty car, or a somewhat luxurious car.