1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

still confused about 5 strings!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Sep 17, 2001.

1. i'm still kinda undecided :)
    i'v kinda narrowed it down, an MTD kingston, (but i'm sorta lookin fer active electronics simply fer someting different from what i already have)
    Ibanez BTB, cos of the looks and the indivdual saddle bridge, and maybe a Yamaha RBX 765.

i know i'm making a big thing of it, but i'm a student and so would be the last bass fer a while and kinda an investment, so i wanna make the right choice

cheers
    *Si*

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Have you tried all the basses? If so, you can probably say yourself which bass is the best sounding/playing for you. All things being equal (how much you like it, price), I would go with the MTD as the name likely has a higher resale value than many other basses.
    Oh, don't forget scale length and the B, I made the mistake of not being choosy enough when I bought my first fiver, and it was a 34" scale MIA Jazz V. I grew to regret it and wound up trading it up and getting something with a tighter, and better sounding B. If yoiu don't like the B you won't use it and then you might as well have bought a 4.

DingZ2

3. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Go MTD. A lot of people here attest to the fact that they are worth more than some basses that cost upwards of $2000. IMHO, go MTD Kingston, in black with a Black pickgaurd...man, there goes my G.A.S. again...:)

4. if you want actives in the mtd, i'm pretty sure that Bartolini makes 2 pot pre-amps, (1 vol, 1 stacked bass/treble), so that you wouldnt have to do any routing, and i've heard that there is more than enough space in the cavity to fit the pre-amp and battery.

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    play them and you will know, I tells ya!!

Ive been trying to decide between P Bass and stingray for months. Just reading was not helping me decide. I had to go to the music store to decide that it was a stingray that I wanted after all. The trick is playing the basses and finding out which one is right for you. Its very easy to decide.