Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Still here, No bass, and have a question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrioN_2k, May 22, 2002.

1. Some of you might remember me. I still don't have a Bass of my own yet. Haven't even picked one up in about 2 months. But I don't give up.

I do have a question. My first bass will no doubt be a Fender Jazz Active with EQ. I can get it around $450 at my local shop. After that, I was thinking this bass from Warwick. Now I haven't played a Warwick yet, but a band I like called Blue October, they're bassist uses a 4 String Warwick. Which one I don't know since I didn't get very close to the stage, but it just sounded awsome. Do you guys think this be a good choice after I get my licks down a little bit better? I was planning to have the Fender Eventually be tuned a little flat so I can play Punk/Alternative songs. I really like Green Day and Mike Dirnt has his tuned flat. (Still need to learn how do that too. LOL :D) I was just amazed that the Warwick was cheaper than Ernie Ball. Granted that's a wonderful sounding bass too. What's your opinions?

O.

(Tom.)

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    for every person that likes Warwick basses there are two that don't. Play some.

For your situation I recommend a Fender Jazz or Precision (Mex or US Standard). I also recommend buying second hand from a shop. Check prices on new and sh to get a feel of prices. Play a lot of P's and J's and see what you like. Also quality varies so play a lot of basses. Buy one that you have played if at all possible or check the return policy.

Don't rush it get a good one and keep it as a spare when you become a famous player or sell it at little or no loss if you don't.

3. Not every warwick sounds or feels the same, there a bunch of different ones, so dont assume that the corvette will be close to what you heard.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Warwicks have a neck profile that is different from any other bass. Some people find it very comfortable, others find it uncomfortable.Try one.