1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Still learning about effects. Comments/advice on my current setup would be awesome

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Noshtero, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Noshtero

Noshtero Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Hello all. So I'm still just getting into this new world of effects. So I've done the first step, I got a pile of pedals :) Now I just need to put them in order. I understand the whole notion of "whatever sounds best to me", but any advice would be appreciated. I'm quickly learning that it takes me a LOT longer to stumble on the right answer, then it does to just ask on here. I.e. settings for my VT Bass. I started playing around with it, but starting off with Jimmy's settings put me about 2 steps from the end of the road. Awesome.

So, without further ado, here's my pile of pedals.

Aphex Punch Factory
    EHX Stereo Electric Mistress
    EHX Bassballs
    MXR Blowtorch
    VT Bass
    Boss GEB-7
    Korg Pitchblack

Also...can you spot any holes in my aresenal? I play 90's rock music in my band, which is basically covered by the VT bass, but at home I cover a MUCH wider spectrum (rock, funk, metal, classical, etc...) I more just want to have the options. At this point, I don't have a sound I'm trying to achieve. Instead, I want my pedal board to open doors for me. Does that make sense without sounding too sappy? I wrote a bassline the other day using the Bassballs that just wouldn't have happened if I hadn't had that pedal. I dig on versatility and bang for the buck. Like the SEM for example. I can play with chorus or flange or both.

Thanks all!

2. Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Nothing?

3. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Wow, we just posted very similar threads. Even both used the word ado. I spelled it wrong tho. I took pictures though so there. One of the things that I'd like to do and you may want to as well is to have a DI box at the end (beginning?) of the chain. Wah pedal? You've got bassballs so thats fun. Boooooooooooowhip.

4. Kooldac

Kooldac

Oct 20, 2008
    Arizona
    If you want it to start "opening doors", you might want to find yourself a delay/tremelo/etc...

5. Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Ya from looking at other people's boards, it seems like the things I'm missing are:

Delay - no idea here, need to research it
    Octaver - I like the Pog due to having both octave up and down
    Envelope Filter - I have the Bassballs, but that's a pretty singularly specific tone. I like the Prometheus, Groove Regulator, and Fatman.
    Wah pedal - That could be interesting... probably the Crybaby.
    Don't know what else :)

I kinda think the filter might be a good move. I can image there are LOTS of sounds you can get out of one of those. At least that's what I've seen from various video reviews I've watched on them. I don't have a clue as to which one to get. There seems to be about a 3-way split for people who support one of them.

6. autopilot

autopilot

Apr 25, 2007
    the best advise, is to first get your core sound, i think with your current setup what sounds are you missing?? wich sounds you use more often with the music and technique you play?

7. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    Well me personally, the way I would set them up is:

Aphex Punch Factory 5th
    EHX Stereo Electric Mistress 6th*
    EHX Bassballs 2nd
    MXR Blowtorch 3rd
    VT Bass 1st*
    Boss GEB-7 4th
    Korg Pitchblack *last or first

Sorry it's out of order, but just copy and pasted it. I've never used the VT bass, but I did use the PDDI thing and I liked it first in the chain. Don't know if it's the same kind of thing, or if you are going to use it as a distortion pedal or always on type thing. Putting one distortion on either side of the Bassballs will give you the flexibility to 'wah' the OD, or OD the 'wah.'

That's just me, and a partial explanation for doing it like that, but like you said, might set you on you way faster. If you do get a delay, put it after the aphex. Comping delay is a little weird.

8. Kooldac

Kooldac

Oct 20, 2008
    Arizona
    I thought about all of those but I only said delay because I think that is the only one that can really define and create riffs. Octaver, how I can imagine, will fatten up a riff or sculpt your tone. Overall, I'd say wah/envelope-filter won't create riffs for you (prolly some exceptions here). Delay was the only one that can completely ruin or re-invent a riff in my mind. Either way, you got a damn solid setup so far.

9. I think the reason no one initially responded was there are a lot of 'order my pedal' threads and 'what else do I need' threads running about.

That said, there are quite a few of us that aren't sure that we got it right on our own boards. I've been working on my board for over a year, and I'm still not sure that I've got it right. I've had effects for years, but only started dialing it in the last year and a half. You're gonna need to play and tweak, play and tweak.

I agree with the suggestion that if you're looking to inspire creativity with effects, a delay or looper is a good start. I would also recommend a HOG and BMS as they are both AMAZING pedals (I've owned the HOG for over a year now, and I am still learning new tricks with it). Unfortunately, if you get all three new, they with run you over a grand easily.

Good luck.

10. the best filter I have heard is the subdecay prometheus,... its the only one that sounded 'right' to me,... only problem is I have no use for it, so thinking of selling it on :(

I'm not a fan of the sample and hold or step pattern thingy but the fact that it does everything else (High pass, low pass, band pass, up / down switch etc + freq, depth, step, rate and intensity knobs) and does it really well,... but I use my noisebox in its place on my pedalboard and like the noisebox more...

the hardwire DL8 is good for a delay/looper at a decent price :)
    and wah pedal for me is the weeping demon :)

11. Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I understand there were lots of posts about this, I read through a good number of them. Unfortunately, it seems that people like to place different examples of the same type of pedal in different spots. It's tough to use the suggestions from a post where they had all different pedals :)

Anyway. What's a HOG and what's a BMS? I can't seem to do searches for three letter words, or I'd just search for it.

A looper... interesting. That could be very awesome. I'm always impressed when I see Victor Wooten live and he gets 3 or 4 loops stacked up and then solos on top of it. Pretty awesome stuff. I see a lot of people like the RC-2. Is that sort of the standard? I looked at the higher up Boss loopers and they don't seem to have any more loop memory, just more control over the loop. I would think that'd be tough to get set up in the moment. I would think the RC-2 would be a lot easier to get running.

As far as my current chain goes, I took all the pedals off my board and played with order. I had found a link someone posted on here a while back that was for a page on signal chain. It basically said EQ -> Distortion -> Modulation -> Time Based Effects.

I have my current setup like this now:
    Punch Factory
    GEB-7
    Bassballs
    VT Bass
    Blowtorch
    Mistress
    Pitchblack

It seems to work well. I'm having some situations where if the compressor is on, the Bassballs lose a lot of punch. I'm getting there though. I noticed a HUGE difference between having the mistress at the end of the chain versus at the beginning.

Thanks to all that responded. I know it sucks answering the same question over and over again :)

12. EHX Bass Micro Synth

Octave, filter, fuzz, attack delay?

Yes.

13. maybe try an expression pedal?