Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Still Looking for a Cab for My Mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bron-Y-AurStomp, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    So, I've done a bit more research since my last post about the Aggy GS112's with my Mesa 400+. To recap, I've got an Ampeg 410 that weighs around 100 lbs, and after dragging it up and down the stairs a few times, I'm really not looking forward to bringing it up and down over and over. However, now that my friend I jam with got a decent guitar amp, I need the power. I know my 400+ can keep up with him and just about everything else, but I need a cab arrangement that's easier to get to practice at his house, but still something I could use at gigs. Now that I think we might have a drummer, there's really no way I could get by with just my dinky little 15 watt Crate. :meh:

I'm still not exactly sure what'd be a good cab to replace this Ampeg 410, though. It was loud enough, no problems there, it's just too heavy. I've been looking into a bunch of different cabs, and come up with a few options. At first, I thought maybe an Acme Low B2 or B4 would be good. The price was right, along with the weight, but I've heard these are huge power suckers and my Mesa just didn't have the power for it. I was thinking maybe two Aggy 112s might work. However, I've also been looking at Bag End. I've heard a lot about how great they are. I thought maybe I could get a 210 and a 115 together, maybe bring the 210 to practice if it could take it, but I could still bring the 115 if overpowering was an issue.

Perhaps there are more options, this is what I've come up with mostly. I'm just trying to find something that'll work the best for my situation. I guess what it comes down to is a good speaker match for the Mesa 400+, because I'm not getting rid of that. It has to be something portable, and loud enough with my 400+ that it could handle two loud distorting guitarists if I really needed it too, but still able to nail the lower volumes. I guess what I'm looking at right now is the two GS112s, the Acme Low B2 or B4 (though faith in this isn't real strong), or some sort of Bag End configuration, probably a 210 and a 115.

Some other factors I should probably mention is that I like to play all sorts of music, well, all sorts of rock music. I mostly listen to indie stuff, but I'm a big fan of all things rock oriented, indie, punk, emo, new wave, classic, whatever, as long as it's sincere, even a little metal. I also play jazz at school, but they've already got a cab that works. I like my tone the way the 400+ paints it, so whatever compliments that tubey tone. I play a 4 string Standard P, and my budget's about $6-700, although anything under, or maybe a little over, I can save up, would be fine, if it's what I need.

Thanks for the input, and my apologies to anyone's eyes. Let me know if I left something out.
    -Russ

2. I play with Acme's, and the one thing that doesn't sound good through them is distortion. They're so accurate that any distortion sounds...well...weird. However, I've heard players play a Mesa 400+ through a B-4 and it is THE SOUND they've been looking for all their life. To each his own, but I suggest trying it out first. Call or email Andy at Acme (AcmeBass@aol.com) and see what he says. He'll be honest if it's not a good idea. He's not just out there to sell cabinets.

It sounds like you're looking for both the portability and warmth of small/ported/full-range cabinets. My two suggestions (other than Aguilar...which is a good choice IMO) would be The Genz Benz 210T-XB2 or the Eden 210 XLT.

For a 4x10 cabinet, I suggest the Genz, which is lighter than your Ampeg with a better sound, I think.

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I ran an SVT-CL into Acme cabs and it was just bad. I would not recommend the 400+ be used with Acme speakers.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The only cabs I was ever really happy with when driven by one of my two 400+s were Mesa Road Ready cabs. Heavy beasts, too. The 400+ sounded downright awful through my Bergantino and Epifani cabs. Through the Mesa cabs, however, they kicked butt. Go figure. :eyebrow:

5. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    Yea, I wasn't really thinking the Acme's would work out with the 400+, but I thought it was worth a shot.

Do you think the 210 by itself would be able to cut it? I thought maybe for practice, but I'm afraid my Mesa 400+ would blow it up, which seemed like the general consensus with the GS112. I know it wouldn't be enough for a live situation, which is why I was thinking about shoving the 115 under them. I need this to be as loud as my 410, as I don't really want to keep it around, but need something as loud, to keep up with volume-happy guitarists.

Also, I've noticed that most people seem to think that the 400+ is matched best with the Mesa cabs. I really don't want to lug them around, though. I'm trying to look for other alternatives.

Thanks for the help so far!
    -Russ

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I got my Bass 400+ from MoPhat and I use it primarily with a Mesa Powerhouse 1000 cab (1x15, 4x10) and to be honest, IMHO even that cab, on it's own, can't handle the full output of the 400+. When I hook my SWR 2x15 and 6x10 together into the 400+ it sounds pretty darn good...but it's not practible for gigging. I too, am still in search of the ONE cab that can handle a serious load without breaking up. Good luck in your journey.

7. a pair of 1200 watt mesa 4x10" should handle it nicely. hell maybe even one, thats more power handling than the PH1000 in a single 4x10

8. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    You see, the more I try to find out about the Bass 400+, the more confused I get. There are those that say it just isn't loud enough to cut it with these power hungry cabs. Then there's others that say I need to have a huge rig to power it. What exactly am I looking for to handle my 400+? Is there some where in between these two extreme of power hungry and power sensitive?

Also, like I said before, I'd rather stay away from Mesa cabs. Yes, I've heard great things about them, but the whole point of this thread is to try and find something lighter and more portable, not the other way around.

For some reason the 210 + 115 configuration seems like the way to go, although I'm having a little trouble finding some insight into a 400+ with this. Or perhaps just two 115s? Maybe even a 212? I'm lost here. What kind of cabs do you guys use that are lighter, not neccesarily the lightest (I can deal with 70 lbs), loud, and just 'sing' with the the 400+, or just tube amps in general.

Thanks for the help and input again guys.
    -Russ

9. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    I heard a Mesa 400+ with an Acme B2 a while back and it sounded great. It was, however, in a music store and not in a live setting.

It would be worth trying to hook up with someone in your area who has a B2 to check it out. Alternatively give Any Lewis a call - and then take advantage of Acme's 2 week trial period.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Have you looked into the Boogie Scout 12" and 15" cabs? The 12" weighs in at all of 37 pounds, and sounds pretty good. Hook up two of those babies and you'd be cooking. Both the Boogie Powerhouse 2x10s and 15s are under 70 pounds - might be worth checking out.

The Schroeder cabs are pretty cool, as are Aguilar stuff as well. Doesn't Epiphani make a lightweight 2x12?

11. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    See, I could never find the weight specs for Mesa cabinets. I always just assumed they were all huge heavy beasts. Do you use a 210 + 115 Mesa rig? How does thatwork out? Also, how much do you think I might find them for used compared to new?

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I usually see them going used for around 60-70% of what new prices are. There's always a few on ebay; might want to take a look at that.

One of the big reasons that Mesa discontinued the older cabs and came up with these is the weight issue. The new Powerhouse cabs are about 15-20% lighter than the old cabs. My old Roadready style 2x10 weighs 95 pounds (no joke!). The RR option adds some weight, so I'm guessing that the new 2x10 weighs around 65. I've picked up a few of them, and I have no troubles with them at all, and I'm a wuss.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    A Powerhouse 4x10 or 2x10+1x15 would kill to have a 400+ push them. Althought... a Mesa Diesel 2x15 would probably be the greatest match ever for it, especially running both 15's in stereo! :D But the 120lb weight probably isn't where you want to look.

14. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I thought the PH1000 could keep up with all the 400+ had to give...after trying a bunch of different routes..I am of the opinion that the 400+ has more power than even the PH1000 can handle without distorting. One of the last things I am probably gonna try is a last ditch effort to save/keep the PH1000 by replacing the speakers with some heavy duty Eminence drivers...hopefully those heavily increased wattage ratings will allow it to tame the full fury of the 400+

15. I will second that scout cab suggestion..I run a big block 750 into a 15 scout(4ohm) and it is very impressive,so much,that I'm considering a second one...and they are extremely light weight because of the neodium(sp?) magnets.I think my head is heavier than the cab..

16. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Instead of ditching the 4-10, why don't you get another big cab, P1000, or6-10, etc, and KEEP both cabs, then you don't have to lug any of them. Just keep one at practice, and one in the car/truck for gigs. Results: Big amp/sound. no extra lugging, no ass beating on trade-ins, cab versitility.

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    check your PM

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    mesa 400+ plus schroeder cabs has got to be da bomb, and schroeder cabs have huge whomp to weight ratio...

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    From my experience, tube amps do not have what it takes to adequately power low efficiency speakers (bergantino HT speakers, acme...) Ive also heard that the schroder cabs are somewhat inefficient. What you are looking for is something with high sensitivity. I find that tube amps like the 400+ are best mated with efficient sealed tweeterless speakers ( i.e. the ubiquitous ampeg 810, bergantino nv series...)

If I had a 400+ it would be powering a Berg NV610. End of story. :cool: