Still Looking For Flats That Cut Through

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by relman, Sep 13, 2001.

1. can anyone make any suggestions? I am soon to have a gig with guitar, drums, horn section, percussionists, etc, and i need bottom that will cut through...
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    On the "cut" issue, I've found that adding some serious boost at about 800 hz. can get you heard. This has worked well for me with both Fender and Ernie Ball flats, and I'll see how it works Sunday with the Jamersons. I usually have the high treble cut, as well as the 250 hz. slider to avoid boominess. I can hear the notes pretty well this way, and still feel the thump. I usually play with three guitarists, a drummer, a percussionist, a keyboardist, and 3-5 singers. So, while I use flats, I try for a pretty clean sound.

I think EQ is more important than what brand of strings you use. I can use Fender 9050's, Ernie Ball Flats, La Bella Tapes, and hopefully, the Jamersons and get an acceptable sound. I keep trying new strings to find "the one", the ne plus ultra . I may add a 31-band EQ to my rack one of these days.
  3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats, try em!
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think the "Made in Korea" pickups on your $300 (US) bass are the problem, not strings, relman.

Please don't take that like some kind of personal affront as some people would. It's just an honest fact with gear - you pay for performance.
  5. A second for the TI Jazz Flats.
  6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I found that tapewounds seem to have more highs for me. Not string-squeak high, but high mids. They still sound flatwound, but seem to have a little more bark. They are also fairly cheap and last a long time.

On a shallower level, I gotta admit that they look way cool on my fretless basses with ebony or rosewood fingerboards. Disappearing strings!!!
  7. No, it's prob man

i know the pickups suck ass, but i can't get a reasonable price for pups up here (barts or SD's) so i'll try to experiment with my eq...