Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Still luvin' the SB7!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tecx, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I was having phatness problems, then I put my FX25 before it (set dub style), then my boss bass chorus after it and WHAM!.. Phat jucy synth, mabey if I wasn't such a lazy ass I would upload some samples... :bassist:

Alex

2. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I just recently picked up a SB7. They were on sale at GC for 49.00, so I couldn't resist. Pretty good pedal. Between the SB7 and the Digitech SynthWah, I got all the synth I need! The SB7 is kinda weird, the envelope closes all the way and lets barely any sound through if you set the SENS knob on 0, so it's not the greatest for dub. It's also kinda trebly and I leave the FREQ knob on 0 most of the time so it lets minimal amount of highs through. That being said, it's still a great pedal and has some really cool sounds. It's just kind of sensitive to the settings and has to be tweaked pretty precisly to get the optimal sounds out of. The DECAY switch also makes a significant difference, not like some envelope filters I've tried. If you flip the DECAY switch you have to change all your other settings, usually. Sounds great with other pedals and I also use it with my FX25 like Tecx, but I usually put the FX25 after the SB7. Anyway, I'll provide some samples soon if anyone's interested.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I'm interested(In the samples).......:D

4. I found the SB7 to be very dub-worthy, more so than my new Digitech Bass synth. Still nothing comes close to that FX25 tho'....sorry.

5. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Do you find the SB7 a little more natural sounding?Like, not as wacky sounding as the synth/filter settings on the Digitech.I'd like a synth that sounds like i'm still actually playing it instead of triggering a long filter sweep that's hard to control.........

6. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well, first off... The SB7 does not track anything, it actually processes the signal by several envelope filers / resonant filters to give an analogue synth sound. Most worthy to ANY bassist, as stated I LOVE THIS THING!... :bassist:

Alex

ps. Mad Subwoofer, I still say put the 25 before it and WOW!...

7. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    By itself? Maybe there's something wrong with mine. If I set the SENS knob on zero, I don't really get anything useful out of it.

EDIT:I just discovered I'd been running my SB7 with a defective AC adapter. Anyone remember my post about my Ibanez PD7 malfunctioning? Probably not, but it was that same adapter. I had never realised that I'd switched my PD7 to a differnet adapter because it happened to coincide with me re-configuring my effects set-up and I kind of just figured the PD7 "fixed itself". Anyway, the moral of the story is: Always check your AC adapters if you think your pedal is not working properly:meh: (I know, I know......"duh!") . I'm now getting some worthy dub-sounds and I'm sure glad I figured out the problem before I went and posted samples:) .

8. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Here's some samples that I did very quickly today. I just haven't had time to sit down and do some good ones (gotta stop working the graveyard shift), but since I said I'd give samples, here's some samples. They're very short. I used my new Dean Jeff Berlin Standard into a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI with an old DOD Bass EQ pedal before the SB7. Enjoy (or not) ! :
    http://www.zebox.com/Wanderlust

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Here's another sample. My setting for a synth bass patch.

10. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    i'm about to buy the ibanez SB7 but i'd like to know if it is good for slapping? Peraps a little sample to show us. Thanks:bassist:

11. don juan pablo

don juan pablo

Jun 21, 2003
    virginia
    i actually hated the sb7 and then a few days ago i was bored as hell and started messing around w/ the pedal and i finally figured it out. once you figure out the pedal it's a great pedal.

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yep Don.

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I didn't spend much time tweaking this, but you get the idea.

14. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    Thank you so much GFAB3333, your samples are really cool and it's a bassist that talk(bass) !!!;) :bassist: :cool:

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    As a side note, I just received my Akai Deep Impact (if you're not familiar with this pedal, do a search of this forum... there's a lot of info here at TB). It sounds great, really sounds like a keyboard synth bass.

...but I'm still not going to sell my SB-7. I really like it for achieving a sound which is truly recognizable as part bass guitar + envelope filter.

16. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I sure will sell mine....