1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Still mulling things over.....Amp and Cabinets.....???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gary-Love Low, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    I have a JBL Powered Subwoofer 18" 5oo watt.....I want to build a stack to use for bigger venues. I would like to use the subwoofer too.... I was thinking about the Peavey Headliner 1000 - 1000-Watt Lightweight Bass Head, Ampeg 450 watt 15" speaker with horn, and the subwoofer. Think I am thinking crazy....??? Will the powered subwoofer mess me up....???

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Why would you want to run that rig do you play 5 string and use an octave down on the open B? You would be far better served with a 210 or 212 or a pair of 212 or 210 cabs in a vertical stack. And would be have a much more versatile rig over all. The sub will just add mud

3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO, your probably going to get the best results if you run an active crossover. Otherwise the subwoofer and your 15 may not get along very well because of phase/group delay differences.

4. Gary, in spite of your Love for Low moniker, you are playing bass, not sub-bass. The real business of bass happens at the harmonics of your strings, not the fundamentals. Trying to get all of that low stuff to be heard, or felt, just robs power from the frequencies that people do hear.
    So yeah! Crazy? No, just unaware of the counterintuitive nature of what you're trying to do.

5. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    First, bigger venues should provide FOH support, so your stage rig effectively becomes a monitor.

Second, no stage should have a sub. It will cause unnecessary feedback through the stage mics, especially the drum mics.

6. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    I do play a 5 string.....The main reason I was going to use the sub is because I already own it. But point well taken. I definitely do not want to add any Mud ! Thanks for the Great Input though Guys....Appreciate it....!!!

7. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    You are talking a little bit above m head....But I do understand that it could create a problem....Thanks !

8. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    I am a huge Fan of the 15" speaker in my current Peavey amp too....I am sold on the 15's....!

9. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    I do play a 5 string.....The main reason I was going to use the sub is because I already own it. But point well taken. I definitely do not want to add any Mud ! Thanks for the Great Input though Guys....Appreciate it....!!!

10. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    You are right ! Thanks !

11. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    I just have to say....I am new at this web site. I appreciate the Great feedback Gentleman !!!

Stevorebob likes this.
  12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If you already own the gear, why not try it. IMHO, There are better ways to get a good bass sound, but you might have a bit of fun and learn something.

Gary-Love Low likes this.
  13. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    Most our bigger shows are outside....Not in house. Thanks for your input though...!

14. No, but chances are it will out power that little 15. I'd go with 2 pvh212s, orat least the 410 and your sub. I use a 610 with an 18" it's perfect.
    20180226_201737.jpg

15. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    Do you really want to haul that sub around?

16. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    I have played the 300 watt Peavey Combo amp into the 18' Subwoofer before outside and it really sounded pretty good with sub turned way down. But I still only had 300 watts of real good sound. That is why I wanted a bigger amp to push a couple bigger 15's or maybe a 15" and a couple of 10's with a horn in Bass cabinet. I think this is what I really need..... I just hate to discard that big subwoofer that I already have. But the 18" is almost to much thump..... I guess I should sell it and just get another Bass cabinet. I was originally sold the sub with my PA system which is only 600 watts....So the used sub they sold me was always way to big for my needs....!

17. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    Now that is a set up ! Nice !!!

18. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    No....Not really ! I already own it though.... We do not play big outside venues that often 2-3 times a year....Maybe

19. I keep the cross over set at 60hz. So the sub only pushes freqs under that, and the 10s push everything else. Its dope

Gary-Love Low likes this.
  20. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    Thanks !!!