Still need help with impedence!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Audiosolace, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I've searched several times and found plenty of beefy threads dealing with impedence, but I can't seem to find all the answers. Here's my question:

If I run an 8 ohm 410 and an 8 ohm 210 in series (daisy-chain), will they act as a 4 ohm 610?

Basically, I don't want my amp to send the same total wattage to the 210 that it does to the 410.
  2. speakers will only use the power they need. It won't exactly act like a 6x10, you won't have the rise in dB from the extra 2 speakers coupling. But it will still give the added volume/low end that you're shooting for.

Everything sounds fine, have fun!
  3. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    each cab gets half of the total power

btw, your not putting them in series, they're in parallel with each other
  4. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Alright, I appreciate the responses, but I got two different answers... so let me rephrase. The amp I am running has two speaker outs.

If I run one speaker out from the amp into the 210 and the other speaker out from the amp into the 410, the amp will split its output evenly between each cab. Then the 210 will split the power two ways while the 410 will split the power 4 ways - giving the 210 more power per speaker than the 410.

If I run one speaker out from the amp into the 210 and then run one speaker out from the 210 into the 410, the amp will split its power six ways - giving the 210 and the 410 a more balanced voice.

Am I getting close?
  5. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    It will be exactly the same; both cabinets in parallel, each 8 ohm cabinet will get the same power.

Normally, speakers with 2 jacks run them in parallel, and amps with 2 jacks normally run both jacks in parallel as well.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The same wattage *will* go to each cabinet unless you are using a stereo rig with which you could adjust the level for each channel individually.

Typically, the best way to get a 6x10 rig from a 2x10 and a 4x10 is to use an 8-ohm 2x10 and a 4-ohm 4x10. In that situation, the 4x10 will receive twice as much power as the 2x10.
  7. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Right on, so... cool. Wish I would've thought about the 4 ohm 410 thing before I went and bought an 8 ohm cab. Oh well.

Thanks for all your help! :D
  8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Check what the sensitivity for the speakers are.

I ran a 4-10XLT 8ohm (106db) and a 2-10XLT 8ohm (103db) in a daisy chain (4ohm total) from the 4 ohm tap speaker out on the amp.
    Because the 210 was quieter, the whole thing was evenly distributed through the 6 10s. Even though it was getting half the power, the 410 was inherently louder (relative to the drivers). So.....
    if you are running different cabs.... brands, models,sensitivity, then you will have to experiment.

I would not run the amp speaker 1 & 2 out because you may be running separate 8 ohm loads, if it is stereo, which would decrease your output dramatacally!!
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Whoa there. Don't run a 4 ohm cab with an 8 ohm cab. Most bass amps can handle a total 4 ohm load, but this configuration gives a total impedance of 3 ohms. You'll blow up your amp.

Check your amp specs. Some amps can now run down to 2 ohms but they're still pretty rare.

I run an Eden 2x10 with a Nemisis 4x10. Each gets equal power and the balance is beautiful. Though I did have a similar problem to yours when I used a JBL 15 with a Trace 2x10. The Trace wasn't as loud as the JBL.

I went to Tandy/Radio Shack and got an attenuation device that will work after the amp. It cost about $20AUS and wired it in between the amp and the JBL cab that I wanted to turn down. Problem solved.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yeah,, that's an important point.