Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STILL NEED SOME HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tormato, Jul 4, 2004.

1. tormato

tormato

May 25, 2004
    Ok, I know I've posted about this before, but I'm really having a hard time learning about the model and year of my bass. I supposedly have a 1979 Rickenbacker 4001 (SA 050). Now, I've noticed a few weird things about this bass since I got it. For example, the pickguard and truss rod cover are both black (even the workd 'Rickenbacker' is in black on it, tho the 'made in usa' and 'model 4001' are in white lettering.). Of course, this could have been painted or something, but I took it off and scrubbed it with nail polish remover and a scrub pad, and there was no white pain showing up underneath. Also, the binding has two colors to it. There is a normal looking strip of black around the body, and a very thin strip of white underneath of it, and then the neck has the regular white binding. I have no idea what the origional color of the bass was because when I got it, it was painted brown (very lousy job too) and had lots of bare wood showing because someone who had it before me re-finished it themself. Then, I had the bass re-finished to a dark blue (which is when the binding color was discovered while they were stripping off the old paint in the shop).

SO! I guess what I wanna know is, why this bass has these weird characteristics. Did someone totally butcher it and give it a new truss rod cover and jack plate in order to sell it? Or is this some kind of special edition, or what? If anyone out there has an idea, or knows where I could find out more about it, lemme know.
    thanks.

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't have any info, but I found it funny that you said
    "lemme know" when talking about a Ric.

I know the spelling is differrent, but it caught my brain.

3. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

Be a real man and scrub that bass with 120 wet or dry with
    acetone!

Then come back and report your findings to us?

For example, is there any annoying plastic pieces that remain?
    Is there any color that won't come off?
    Do the plastic knobs have that annoying shine to them?
    The plastic nut still intact?
    Metal tuners remain?

If you are still having problems with the metal parts on the
    bass consider the following:

Use a bench grinder
    Flame on with that oxy Acetelyene (sp) tourch.

Good luck and report back often and soon.