1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Still no music....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Apr 17, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    So I auditioned for this band on Tuesday. They liked my playing but I ended up learning the wrong version of the song that they were working on. They're giving me another chance this tuesday and said they would email me the right tabs. It's going 4 days now and still no tabs. I sent a text a couple of days ago asking about them (in the mean time I've been playing the parts of the song that they taught me at the audition) and they said they were still writing them up. This is getting incredibly frustrating because I want to show up prepared and with out knowing my parts there's no way to do that. I've been trying to pull the tabs off the song myself (even uploaded some software to do so) but the bass lines are weak and barely audible....

anyway do you guys think I'm being D***ed around or what?

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hard to say from the little info on the whole situation.

Could be, but maybe they also got a lot of stuff going on, no time at their hands, OR, worst case, they don't actually know how to write tabs.

3. what song is it.....there may be a chart out there....if it's an original they may want you to come up with something....they may have no idea what the previous guy did

4. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    2 covers.

Incubus - dig

and

every little thing she does is magic - ra

I can only find one version by ra of every little thing she does and it's the wrong version.

5. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I found three versions of that on youtube fast and easy. The studio version, acoustic, and live. Take your pick.

They probably expect you to learn these songs without any assistance from them. That's what I would do. You already know what version they want, why not just find it, learn it, and get 'er done? No offense, but in my opinion, you should do this yourself. You didn't really ask them to write tabs out for you did you? Of cover songs???

It would be different if you were talking originals, but covers... any cover band is going to expect you to be self-sufficient in this regard.

I just auditioned for a cover band on 10 songs. 4 I already knew, 6 I had to learn from scratch, which I learned myself without any input from the band except the song name and artist. I would have never dreamed of asking them for anything more.

Go forth and learneth thee songs thyself! Good luck!

6. dig is in a geetar rag somewhere,but youtube would be your best bet

7. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    They offered the tabs for me. I didn't ask. As for Dig goes I found a bass cover on youtube that I'm going by. It's a little frustrating since I can't slow it down to where I need it but better in the end I guess.

8. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    Tab schmab, use them ears boi! You can't really depend on them though. They do expect you to learn covers on your own. I would. And you are, if they don't see that, then you need to move along.

9. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    If you can't learn a cover by yourself you've got problems, they might be trying to test you here. Find some tabs on the internet and listening to the song, don't just rely on tab...you've got to use your ears to make sure what you are playing is right.

10. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Yeah I learned the hardway as far as the wrong tabs. I've been watching bass covers, listening to the song non-stop, and even up-loaded it until autacity(sp) trying to figure out the right way to play it. So far I've noticed that all the tabs are wrong (just by watching the finger movements of the youtube videos) but it still flys by way to fast for me to pick up the exact bass lines. As far as the software.... to distorted to match up..... blah this is incredibly frustrating.... This is all for "dig" as far as the other song... I can't find anything to help me out.... not even a version to download into the software.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining here but I'm incredibly frustrated after 4-5 days and I still feel like I'm step one. But with patience, perserverence, and a killer headache I will get this done damnit... Even if I don't make the audition lol.

Yay, right after I posted this I found the right tabs for "dig". (matches up to the finger movements of the bass cover vids I've been watching). One headache over with finally.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    If you can get an mp3 for it, down load Best Practice, slow the song down and increase the pitch and octave usually works to highlight the bass line.