Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

still searching for that midrange punch!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by indieandrew11, Feb 27, 2004.

1. i just recently got a new pickup (nordstrand p4) and a DOD EQ pedal for my fender p. i am currently playing out of a ampeg ba115hp, which the speaker is 4ohm. the salesperson at the store said that it cannot support any sort of extention cab so i have been considering getting a power amp and a 2X12 cab or a 2X10 cab and just running it from my balanced line out because the 15 sounds so muddy in the midrange frequencies. any ideas?

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    dump the p bass and check out some jazzes.... better yet.... WARWICK... larger speakers will give you bigger boom not really better punch.

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

SO you're telling him to change his bass...AND his cab? Sheesh, what next, a sex change? ;)

P basses can puch just fine, I think you're on the right track as far as adding smaller cones to your setup. One thing you may want to consider in order to save some money and amount of gear to schlepp is to trade in the 4 ohm 15 for an 8 ohm so that you can get by with your current head.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have a couple of thoughts on this. Firstly, the midrange punch you're looking for is more likely to be hiding in a 2x10 than a 2x12. The general consencus is that the 2x12's behave more like smallish 15's than biggish 10's. As someone who uses a 15 with a 2x10 (& sometimes a 4x10), I can vouch for the broad spread of frequencies covered, including a strong but musical midrange.

Secondly, it's more than likely the signal from your line out is only strong enough to go to a PA mixing board or another combo amp, but it won't be strong enough to drive a power amp. In other words, it needs to be fed to a pre-amp of some sort in order to boost it into something juicy enough to drive a power amp to it's potential.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    SWR Henry the 8x8. Punch.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    No, don't dump the P for a Jazz, unless you're giving it to me. ;)

10s and 12s have a much nicer midrange, whereas 15s have lots of low mids, and they can get muddy pretty easily.

7. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    The best sounding midrange isnt one you can find with any knob.... This is a theory I made up.Ok,check this out;I have a squier p-bass,Elixer nano-webs,I like low G+ tuning.The muddy/bassy tuning is the chocolate ,the EXTREMLY trebly/clarity strings are the white creme.One stands for bass,the other stands for treble.You mix the two,you get a KILLER midrange tone.Im talking ED GEIN vicious midrange.This tonal tranformation just totally makes my P pickup sound....different.Almost like a humbucker.My point here is;find things on your gear that can play as the creme and as the chocolate and work with it for a while.You seem to have a 210 and a 212,there you go.A little extra on your treble and/or tone knob makes this rule work better.

8. for one i dont like the way a jazz bass plays and two i dont like the way it looks so that takes that out of the question(no disrespect to jazz bass fanatics!) but do you think i should get a whole new rig all together........err.... i did forget to mention that the ba115hp is a combo amp so i cant really get rid of the speaker unless i get rid of the whole thing. i think i could slang the amp though and get a whole new setup like a combo that has two 12s or 10s. ugh....i hate resale on gear this soon because i always lose money!

9. i dont get it...... :confused:

10. Well, here's what I'd try: leave off the EQ pedal. Put on a new set of strings, maybe try a different brand of strings. Boost the treble a tad, cut the low just a tad on the amp's EQ. Leave the amps mids right in the middle of the dial. Put the amp on a stand to get it off the floor and closer to ear level.

IMHO a lot of "poor sound" complaints come from too much EQ....

11. really?? i like my EQ pedal :(

12. Just my opinion of course....but what you hear next to the amp ISN'T what the audience hears. The tone changes considerably by the time it interacts with the stage and the room. Trying to get a "perfect tone" on stage may not equate to a good tone in the audience, IMHO....a lot of people wind up getting a crappy tone instead, with some notes sounding too loud, others too soft.

When I run sound, I start with the EQ perfectly flat. I prefer to run with a very minimal amount of EQ, and I have had good luck with it. I've known other sound men that have said that when they encounter a bad-sounding PA, the first thing they do is start by returning all the EQ to dead-flat. They've even commented that people will say "wow what did you do to fix the PA?"....

I guess what I'm driving at: I have grown to prefer a simple approach, and it's worked well for me. Your mileage may vary, go ahead and explore the possibities of the EQ pedal.

13. i tried what you said and it just ends up sounding like piano string! ill keep playing with it but come on! no one else has any other input?!?! like i said in one of my other threads, i am willing to spend a little cash but i dont want to spend it on crap that doesnt even help!

14. im not a big fan of swr because i got an extention cab that had a 10 inch speaker for my crate 50watt combo and all it did was distort very badly!

15. Well, I guess I'm confused. You wanted to get rid of the midrange "mud"....so now you've eliminated the "mud" and now you're complaining because you've got a good clean sound "like a piano string". ??? I'd get a good long cord, or a wireless, and go out away from the amp twenty or thirty feet or so and listen with the amp cranked really loud, and see how it sounds. Should have a lot of punch. If you still want a little more midrange, put your EQ pedal back in and add just a touch at 250 or 400 Hz. But then again, that's my opinion, take it for what it cost ya.

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, I'd say that's probably more because of the 50w Crate than the SWR cab! SWR is considered to be a good amplification manufacturer, even if Fender bought them recently.

Try the 8x8 with a amp of decent output and you'll hear the punchy goodness.

Um, just curious, do you happen to be a guitarist?

17. Adding a 2x10 with a power amp would probably do the trick.

18. im sorry...i value your opinion very much! that is why i asked for it.....didnt mean to discount your advice. maybe i just wasnt very clear on the sound i want....kinda more musical and full...almost like a singing tone.

19. Haha....im not tellin!

20. now im really confused :confused: