Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Still want a Bergie HT112. Is it so wrong?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hi guys-

I'm digging my LDS 2x8 still! Played an electric gig (my jazz trio, but on my Smith) with it and it sounded really nice. I was concerned it may come out a little mid scooped, but I didn't have a problem with it at all...I think all the controls were mostly flat and it sounded verrah nice. All the way around, I thought it was pretty tight, deep and clear.

However, while I've been going through different cab configs over the last year I've been constantly wondering about that expensive little HT112. Greybeard has extended the offer to let me come check it out (about 1.5 hours away) and I haven't been able to do it. I'm thinking about just getting one and giving it a try. It's the only cab I still GAS for no matter what else I've got! I just hear so many people say it works well for upright with a Clarus...and in boomy rooms, which I play in many of!

I think that's the only complaint I could possibly generate for the LDS 2x8...with upright, the lows tend to get *big* in boomy rooms and I start losing pitch definition.

Any thoughts? People are finding a single HT112 and a Clarus to be a good doubling rig *still*?

Will

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I use my HT112 with a WW. Yeah, I still like it after 2+ years. I actually have the bass EQ rolled off to about 9:00 for URB, flat for EBG.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey Wilbyman....
    What do you think you will get from the berg 112
    that you didn't get from the eden 112xlt???
    Will any 1x12 box give the midrange punch of a 10?
    Also.. I think Bromberg's sound on "Wood", is very
    acoustic. Sounds like mostly mic with a little pickup.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't heard the 2x8, Will, but from what I heard out of the 3x8, 4x8 and 5x8, I am not surprised. Those long-throw 8 cabs are flat out incredible, but to my ears, they do need a little bit of help in the upper mids. I'm not sure if I mentioned it here, but when I was up at Low Down Sound, my exact comments were that they should make a companion box for it that had the voicing of the Berg HT112. So you and I are definitely thinking down the same track. It must be that lawyer thing, eh?;)

The HT112 is a really nice cab. However, I don't think that it shines as a solo cab, although I must admit that I did not try it solo with upright. The HT112/EX112 combo is do die for, though. The best single standalone small cab that I have tried for upright is the EA Wizzy.

I still think that a complimentary LDS cab that matches your 2x8 in width, but somehow has a voice closer to that of the HT112 (or ever just the mids of the HT112 - your 2x8 probably has plenty of lows), would be a great way to go.

Do you have a Clarus now, or are you still using the SWR? I certainly wouldn't rule out that LDS 2x8 until you've had a go at it with a higher end head. Not to slam the SWR, but it isn't quite up to the level of the Clarus. An iAMP 500 would be very nice also, and would give you some incredible EQ to take care of any boominess in certain rooms.

Later, Tom.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Oh, B String why dost thou mock me so!

Look padnah. The XLT seemed voiced for low mids, but didn't give up much in the way of upper mids and highs. The way I'm hearing it from these other cab sluts is that the HT112 has smooth upper mids and clarity for days without getting honky. The XLT was a so-so upright cab and the tweeter was kind of boxy/clunky. Are you telling me all 1x12's are the same? :meh:

I will freely admit that it might not outdo my cool LDS 2x8, but its the only cab I haven't checked out that I've been dying to for a while.

So, in sum, I'm looking for bitching smooth upper mids and highs with good definition in the lows...but not a ton of lows.

Will

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Will:

Have you tried the Wizzy? It sounds like it may be right up your alley. Of course, you also seem to be on the right track with the HT112 (except that two is even better!). And I see that you have the Clarus - sweet.

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm not trying to give the impression I'm not digging the 2x8, but you're right...a little more snap right there under the tweeter would probably round it out a little more. For most people, the 2x8 would be perfect and it does sound great...tons of lows, good clarity and a nice smooth tweeter. For upright, I'd like a *little* less lows and more upper mids. However, I've been satisfied with the 2x8 as an upright cab and probably would be if I didn't just GAS for other cabs (and *that* must be a lawyer thing!)

I've still got and have been using the Clarus. They both work well with the 2x8, and it brings out the natural sound of each without exaggerating the shortcomings of each amp. (IE, it doesn't made the Clarus too muddy and doesn't make the SWR too thin). However, in a tough room the upright lows get *big* and can get boomy with either amp...moreso with the Clarus.

Really, I'd like to try out the IAmp+HT112 combo and might just plunk down for it.

It seems like Don has been really busy and increasingly tough to get ahold of -- the perils of building a good, inexpensive product! I guess I'd rather try the Berg 1x12 out (probably the pair) than wait around for a new design from him.

Anyway...quitting time and stop-by-the-pub time!

Will

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Tom,

The Wizzy looks cool, but I profess that my ultimate GAS is for the HT/EX setup...maybe IAmp/HT/EX setup!

Will

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Which pub down there in Parkersburg? We used to play there back in the mid to late '90's. I thought the two major industries were strip joints and used car lots? Or maybe we were playing in the wrong part of town, eh? I do absolutely love the Mountaineer restaurant, though. Thank the Lord for the all-night breakfast!

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Now you are talking! That would be a killer setup. I admit to prefering the HT/EX to just the Wizzy. Those two cabs together (or two HT112's) are one of the best combinations in the small cab realm. But if I had only one 1x12 to use, it'd be the Wizzy. And in it's defense, though, I must admit that I have not tried two Wizzy's!

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    You've definitely been here.

The 7th street area (from I-77) is definitely car lots -----> strip joints. However, I think its actually getting better along that area and there might be some gentrification in the works.

Tom: You had to pass all of that to get anywhere here, so it might not indicate where you were playing,

My office is on 9th Street, uptown from there just a little bit.

The pub is the Wheel House, which *used* to be the Eagles club (fraternal order of). There aren't alot of savory places to hang out here...the Wheel House is pretty clean (and if you played there, it has a beautiful dance hall upstairs with a big Eagle on the floor). The nicest bar into town is the Blennerhasset Hotel's bar --recently remodeled -- which is where I play my Monday jazz gig.

The Mountaineer -- yay! We actually went to the Omelette Shoppe, which was bulldozed for the new highway. The Mountaineer survives though! Down with Bob Evans, up with greasy local joints.

Will

12. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I don't know about you guys, but if I walked into
    an upright gig with a pair of 1x12 boxes, I would
    frighten alot of people. The problem for me is not
    tone at a louder volume, its tone and punch at a
    lower volume with less gear.
    As far as smooth mids and highs, with full low end...
    umm... EPIFANI 112!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm looking for more
    punch in the mids. I wish the wizzy had a bit more
    high end. It would be my dream box. Light, tight,
    great lows and mids. Its also very sensitive. I miss
    the sensitivity in a lot of the newer boxes. They
    seem to want a lot of power and volume to get
    going.
    Wilbyman. Yea, you're right about the eden horn, but
    it works for electric bass.

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Yeah, that's my worry about the Wizzy -- no tweeter, can't deal with it.

Alot of people have sold the Epi's and kept the HT112 from what I've seen, for upright that is...at least a few.

Will

14. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've owned both the Berg HT/EX 112 setup and have had 2 Wizzy's. The Wizzy's sound pretty good, but there is no portable cab IMHO that can keep up with the Berg 12's in volume and tone. My favorite portable cab is the EA old CXL110 made from Birch. These cabs sound better to me in the tone department, but can't pump the volume of the Bergs.

BTW, my definition of a portable cab is one can be easily lifted and carried with one hand. The Wizzy has pretty much been taken off my portable cab list since EA removed the top handle. Despite it's light weight it is still a little awkward w/o the top handle.

15. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I would love to try a berg with my upright,
    but this is Los Angeles. We only have Sam Ass
    and Guitar Center. Can't find epi or berg or
    eden or you name it. I liked the wizzy but
    perhaps my gk800 didn't have enough extended
    highs to make it work. Wilbyman.. If you really
    need golf lessons, perhaps I can help. I'm a
    bonified golf ho. My wife still doesn't know I once
    gave up a somewhat major session so I could
    play Riviera C.C. oohh I'm a ho!!

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Dood,

Me needing golf lessons is NO BS, brudda. I've really started playing semi-seriously and regularly this year (a little last year) and it started out *bad* but is getting better. For some reason I widened my stance a little bit and now I'm much more consistent and getting some good distance. The short game is okay but I can't putt for @#!$!

P.S., golf stuff is cutting into the bass gear. My wife got me a set of the new Ping G2 irons for my birthday and I dig them the most. Also got a Big Bertha and an Odyssey putter so that's going to do it for a while.

Will

17. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Juast wait till you start thinking hhmmmm...
    golf gear or bass gear... golf gear or bass gear...
    hhmmm. The g2's are fine, but I hate the stock
    shaft. Ya know... You can't find crap for bass
    gear in L.A, but golf deals.. YES!! Stores with
    90 day return policies, free launch monitors..
    oops... sorry. BASS GEAR, we're talking bass gear.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I own two Epi T-112's, and my thoughts on how they compare to the Bergies is that the Epi has much more low end, and a more full sound, but the Bergie has more more present and articulate mids. Highs are beautiful on both. Interestingly, the HT112/EX112 stack (which I mentioned is one of my faves) is a fairly close comparison to one of my other favorite combos, the Epi T-112/T-110UL. The T-110UL seems to fill out the upper mids for the T-112. The Epi stack probably still has more low end, though.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    My Wizzy has a top handle, and I agree that it makes it much more portable. Although I do like the flat surface on top (which you get with side handles) to set my head. For top-handle cabs, I end up using MoPads monitor pads between the head and cab.

20. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Okay, I ordered one from thelowend.net/Brian. I will give the full report when it gets here on Wednesday.

This will be my last cab for at least a year...this will be my last cab for at least a year...this will be my last cab for at least a year....

Well, I mean *beside* the companion EX-112. Come on! Duh!