Stimulus: Amp Shopping Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chico16, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    So of course, the stimmy hit. Couldn’t figure out what to do with it until I realized an Amp Head upgrade is long overdue. (Questions at the bottom if too long to read)

I currently use an Ibanez SR605 and a GK NEO 412 cab powered by a Behringer BX4500h amp head. The Behringer was my first amp, supposed to upgrade after a few years but then got married and yadda yadda yadda :)

There is nothing really *wrong with the Behringer, I can get a nice tone out of it, but the new band I’m playing with now is doing mostly outdoor gigs (Covid) with minimal PA support for the bass. I can cut through fine, but I find myself clipping - often times cutting bass and adding mids to get more headroom, but still close to clipping or hitting the rails. I always have both the “deep” and “bright” buttons engaged. I guess I like a “scooped” tone with just enough mids to cut through.

I started looking for a used GK 700rb-II online and found that the price used is very close to the 1001rb-II nowadays. A couple questions here:

1. The Behringer is rated at 450w, while the 700rb is 480w. Will the 700 really give me more headroom or would it be about the same-ish? My concern is settling for the 700 but being in the same boat and ending up back in the market for a 1001rb.
    2. My budget for the GKs are 400-500 since I like those, but is there maybe a different amp that goes for less used that I’m overlooking?

The 1001rb-II has been my dream amp for years, but not sure if maybe it’s too much amp for my situation and current venue size. Thanks everyone!

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The power rating metrics are very different between the GK and the Behringer. Learn how the two are rated and you will understand why one is much different than the other.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    I also have the BX4500H head and I would say the watts is close to 450W because it seemed about as powerful into a pair of 8 ohm cabs as my GK700RB which was 380+50 (high amp). The GK had more clarity but I could get a good sound out of the Behringer. With THAT cab, I would just get the 1001RBII so you have it IF you need it. Can always turn it down. Gotta be one out there in your price range. Sweetwater is selling the Bugera Veyron (Mofset version) for 299.00 bucks now. Read the reviews on that. Might be the ticket. Can always send it back.

4. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Very interesting. Couldn’t find anything on the manual other than 450w, but I searched here and seems the consensus is that Behringer allegedly used their peak wattage on their labels not continuous. If that’s the case, I guess I have a 250-ish watt amp? Crazy... no wonder I hear people say “500 watts is all you need” and I’m here thinking I must be doing something wrong if my amp is almost 500 and I want more just with local shows lol

That’s a good point. I could just go with the 1001rb and call it a day as far as amp upgrades go. I’d probably just have to be careful with my practice cab (Behringer BB410) in case it can’t handle the power. That Bugera looks great! I don’t know if I trust that watt rating though. 2000 watts sounds too good to be true lol

jeff7bass and agedhorse like this.
  5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    The 1001rb is a really powerful head . I had one about ten years ago and while it wasn't my tone it had a ton of power and everything about it seemed first class . At the time I wished I could get my tone from it because it was a great size and weight . If you like the GK sound that amp would get you all the power you could ever want with your cab . I completely understand why so many people love GK gear .

Chico16 likes this.
  6. You are correct to be dubious. Bugera and Behringer are brand names from the same company, and there is a lot of confusion about the actual RMS wattage of their amps. Some folks say it's more likely somewhere between half to a quarter of that astronomical 2kw claim.

Have you thought about something like a Quilter BB800 or Mesa D800? Stimmy and a lil extra will get those brand new; less than stim-stim used. Both are simple, powerful, honestly rated amps that many folks love.

Chico16 and Gearhead17 like this.
  7. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Nice thanks for the input! I’m curious now, which amp helped you find your tone?

My first purchases were Behringers BX4500H head and BB410 cab. They’ve done right by me, held up for about 9 years now completely reliable, even had people compliment my tone when I used that setup, but I would not purchase Behringer again because of the way they rate their watts. I’d recommend certain models for sure, but not without also recommending a used market search before pulling the trigger.

Those look like great options! Particularly the Mesa. Thanks man, keeping those on my shortlist for sure. I just pulled the trigger on the 1001rb last night since I know what it sounds like and there isn’t many used in good condition for sale right now. I’m going to look for that Mesa next time in near a Guitar Center though and check it out.

musicman556 and Blues Bass 2 like this.
  8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Did most of my gigging with Tech 21 RBI preamp or Ampeg SVPCL pre into Crown amps . My tone of choice is Ampeg and I found the PF800 gives me most of the power and tone that I had with the racked pre/poweramp rigs . Just a preference . I tried the 1001rb at some point and it had the power but I just like the Ampeg tone better for me . I also have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 that I love the tone of too .