Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sting on saturday night live bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jobu3, Jan 3, 2003.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i saw sting palying on snl and he was palying a black fretless bass. it had a very narrow body but looked like a cross between a spector and an ibanez... anybody khow what kind it was? (no, it was not a sting sig bass for any smart alecs out there ;) ) :confused:

2. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    this episode was a rerun on comedy central so it was not a recent one if that helps...

3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    cool thanks! anybody know what model?

4. It was one of the old Roadstar models. For a little while in the '80s, Ibanez made a neck-through based on the Musician and a couple of bolt-ons based on the Roastars in that narrow shape. They're sometimes called "Bean Basses". The neck-through one was the MC888, I think, and the dual-pickup bolt-on was called the RB999, but I don't remember what the number the single-pickup one was.

Here's a photo of the RB999:

[​IMG]

Mike

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I always wanted a RB999.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :D me too. I watched a grey one go for $200ish with case on eBay in the summer, gas hurts when you're unemployed

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Me three. :(

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've always loved the old Roadstar basses even though I don't like anything from the past 12yrs from Ibanez. They have a nice heafty feel and a more thicker and more solid neck than anything you find on an SR or BTB series bass.

I found a black used one a few years ago, but it was sold by the time I went back to get it. I have seen them off and on over the years, but needed other types of basses or gear to spend money on instead.
    I found on guy at work recently that has one, and I tried buying it when he went through his divorce, but he managed to hang onto it.

9. nofretz

nofretz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Rome, GA
    it was a 1983 roadstar II MB888.

i have one with case and brochure.

i'm new here. i'll make a thread for this bass with pics and scans.

hope this helps!

10. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I just have to say wow over 6 years imbetween posts.

11. nofretz

Feb 23, 2009
    Rome, GA
    yeah :)

i just joined today. i'm doing searches on topics that are relevant to me and my basses (trying to catch up a bit). i was surprised to see one about this rare bass.

12. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Old posts never die around here. They just hang around until someone decides to comment on them.

13. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    :eyebrow:

14. nofretz

Feb 23, 2009
    Rome, GA
    old?

thanks for the plug! ;)

15. ...relatively speaking, of course!

Gale

16. nofretz

Feb 23, 2009
    Rome, GA
    if two weeks ago is old, no wonder the six year resurrection of this one was so stunning :D