1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Sting" pickup and jazz pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spc, Jul 29, 2004.

1. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Anyone have an opinion on how a J bass would be with a single coil P bass pickup (51? p bass, sting pickup, you know the one) in the usual neck position, and a bridge position jazz pickup? Or the single coil p and a music man at the bridge position? If you did the second, couldn't you use a mm style pre on both pickups? Just an idea, and I was wondering if anyone has maybe tried this...Thanks much!

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Opinions?

3. i imagine it would sound similar to those combinations with a standard, split-coil P. the only difference is that i've found the straight single coil P pickup to have a little less high and low end than a split-coil P.

i am a fan of both configurations (P/MM, P/J), though and would recommend either. my only concern would be that the single coil P pickups are usually not wound on a plastic bobbin and it doesn't have a protective cover, which means it's more susceptible to damage over time than a split-coil P pickup.

robb.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I put one in the bridge position on my 1977 P-bass,
    I liked the sound better than jazz pickup.
    more bottom matched split-p-pickup better.
    Better blend of two pickups.
    Tim Bogart used this combanation in Catus.

5. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    any other opinions?