Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Sting" pickup and jazz pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spc, Jul 29, 2004.

1. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Anyone have an opinion on how a J bass would be with a single coil P bass pickup (51? p bass, sting pickup, you know the one) in the usual neck position, and a bridge position jazz pickup? Or the single coil p and a music man at the bridge position? If you did the second, couldn't you use a mm style pre on both pickups? Just an idea, and I was wondering if anyone has maybe tried this...Thanks much!

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Opinions?

3. i imagine it would sound similar to those combinations with a standard, split-coil P. the only difference is that i've found the straight single coil P pickup to have a little less high and low end than a split-coil P.

i am a fan of both configurations (P/MM, P/J), though and would recommend either. my only concern would be that the single coil P pickups are usually not wound on a plastic bobbin and it doesn't have a protective cover, which means it's more susceptible to damage over time than a split-coil P pickup.

robb.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I put one in the bridge position on my 1977 P-bass,
    I liked the sound better than jazz pickup.
    more bottom matched split-p-pickup better.
    Better blend of two pickups.
    Tim Bogart used this combanation in Catus.

5. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    any other opinions?