Sting/Police prediction

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Max, May 31, 2001.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I don't know, I just want to go on record and predict a Police reunion. Sting's latest video on VH-1 has him on stage playing a gig and prominently wearing a Police T shirt. I gotta think he's thinking again how great their stuff was and Stewart and Andy are great musicians and that it's time. Also, he's thinking what a ton of money he'll make. He just has that look on his face. I hope they take a crack at a new album too.
  2. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Man, I hope so.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Me too! The Police were one of my favorites for years....way ahead of their time.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, that would be cool, then I could finally see them live!
  5. bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    police reunion = AWESOME.

(sung) so lonely, so lonely, so lonely....
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Police breakup was pretty acrimonious. I say the chances of them actually getting back together to make a new album is 40-60. But maybe age has mellowed them.

Sting and Andy have guested on each other's albums. I think Stewart's participation is the sticking point (pun intended).
  7. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Maybe Sting's intonation has improved a little -
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, i think it would be cool if they had another fight at their reunion concert. sting and stew slugging it out on mtv. or probably vh1.
  9. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I've got a magazine that has an article about the Police splitting up, with each of the members talking about the making of their last album. While Sting and Andy are quite charitable about the band, and don't seem too bitter about it, Stewart rants on about being trapped in a "hell-hole" (you ever seen Monserrat?) with those two "scumbags", and says that "At the time, Sting thought he was the devil. It was my job in life to convince him he wasn't the devil, he was just the biggest ******* on earth."

So, when everything's said and done, I don't expect Mr Copeland to be too keen.
  10. I agree, a fight would be cool. I'd definately be hoping for Stewart. Sting may be the bassist, but I like Stewart's solo stuff much better than Sting's. Although I really doubt they'll ever get back together.
  11. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    no way.... what does Sting need them for? Here's how I see it. The best bands usually have two strong personalities or leaders, if you will. The Police were basically Sting's group: Andy and Stewart were his sidemen.

Sting did essentially what he wanted in the Police, and he's doing that now. He's got plenty of solo success doing what he wants, so he has no reason to reunite the Police, unless he likes fighting with the drummer! He can just fire 'em now and get a new one.
  12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    besides, someone needs to smack sting - his "yoga has made me a sex god" schtick has gotten a tad old. ;)
  13. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    I hope they reunite too, I love them, their music is one of those "still fresh" stuff that you can hear a thousnd times or store in the closet for 15 years and when you take it out it still sounds as relavent and new as it did the first time you listend to it.

anyway, they are all great musicians who in my opinion turned simplicity to an art.
    Stewart's a great drummer too.
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm with you...never say 'Never', though(so many bands have gotten back aftre acrimonious splits. Unfortunately, it may come down to a $$$ thing...eventually).

Anybody checked out Andy Summers' solo stuff?
    Personally, I really dig the album he did with Tony Levin, Victor Bailey, Eliane Elias, etc...was it called World Gone Strange? A nice play-it-in-the-background cd.
    Also, The Last Dance Of Mr. X...bad(IMO). And his last two albums-
    one is a Monk tribute, the other a Mingus tribute.
    Summers definitely went in a whole different direction than Sumner, eh? ;)
  15. Are you kidding? Stewart Copeland was just as important to the Police as Sting was, he wrote some cool songs himself, and he was a fine drummer. Andy Summers was talented too, I never really paid much attention to him. '

Anybody ever check out that album that Stewart did with Stanley Clarke, Animal Logic I think?
    Some of his solo stuff was pretty cool, different anyways.
  16. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I think it would be cool to see a reunion, but I can't say how possible it is. I like a lot of Sting's solo stuff, but the yoga-sex thing is tired, as JT said. I think Sting's singing is much better now than in the Police days, and I would love to hear Stewart and Andy with him again. Great grooves....
  17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have both Animal Logic albums; honestly, neither floated my boat.
    And to clear things up-
    The Police were about THREE guys(& not just one).
    Sting, IMO, has really settled into the Adult/Contemporay market...IMO, the rawness that made The Police is absent. So, Sting can keep the staus quo, hire some sidemen, & keep keepin' need, at this point in time, to share the bill with Summers/Copeland(unfortunately).
    I mean, does anyone NOT believe that Sting is some sorta ego-maniac? (Re-vist JT's earlier comment) ;)
  18. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    The Police were about three guys, but don't fool yourself into believing they were equal contributors. Sting wrote the songs and sang them. That's what pop music is about. It's also about being commercial. Sting had success with the Police and he has success now.

Why should he bother fighting with Stewart? He can hire a drummer as good or better than Stewart, tell him to play a certain way and that's it. When the money for the album / tour starts rolling in, Sting keeps most of it. The drummer is on salary. No royalties or gate to split.

Think about what bands get back together. It's always the ones where their solo projects flop. Don Henley and Glen Frey hadn't had a hit in the 90's, so BOOM! Eagles reunion! Fleetwood Mac. Go-go's? Belinda Carlisle has a few hits, so no reunion. Once the hits stop, the Go-go's reform. Mick Jagger did a solo album without Keith Richards.... no one cared. So back to the Stones he went. The Who? Same thing. The animosity between Daltrey and Townsend is legendary, but the Who keep getting back together because they need each other.

Look at these bands' history. The Police/Sting don't fit the mold. They won't be getting back together.
  19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, sting's latest album was flopping pretty hard until he put the hit single in the jaguar commercial.

so, yeah, i think that an injection of the police would probably be welcomed by sting, if not now, in a year or two., besides, all that animosity happened twenty years ago - i find it hard to believe that they haven't changed any since then.

then again, who knows, ole' gordon's ego might need it's own zip code by now. :D
  20. In a perfect world, it would be nice to see The Police get back together. But it would be so disappointing to see that happen and have them sound like they did when they did that remake of "Don't Stand So Close To Me". Bleah! The Pod Police!! No thanks!

I cannot honestly see the Sting of now-a-days coming down off his easy-listening platform to front a band that was once known for it's edgy, innovative sound. It's incongruous.

As for Andy and Stewart...they were just as talented if not more so than Sting. Don't get me wrong...Sting is the one who first inspired my love of the bass. But Stewart is a far better drummer than Sting is a bassist. However, Sting is the hottie, and chicks dig him. Come on...he was photographed shirtless on the cover of People magazine ferchrissakes. If they get back together, the show will have a thousand screaming women over 25, and a bunch of disillusioned Police fans wondering where the magic went. The 3 of them in their prime was an example of pure synergy. It will be next to impossible to capture that again.