1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sting Ray or BONGO?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaS HaaS, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Standard sting Ray

29 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. HH Sting Ray

32 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Bongo

6 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. HH Bongo

33 vote(s)
    33.0%
  1. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    Endorsing Artist - Ampeg, Ernie Ball
    I've narrowed my search to a MM bass, but now Im not sure what model to get SR or bongo, HH or single pickup??

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

HH Bongo if you don't slap much.

3. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    I just slap for fun My main genre is metal with melodic twist. I want something that I can kick arse on the road with and in the studio

4. I voted for the Stingray because it is my favorite MM, but the HH Bongo is great option too... Either one you can't miss...

5. HH, using the other combinations you get loads of awesome sounds!

But im biased!

P1010017-1.

(sorry, i LOVE posting that pic :D )

6. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Gorgeous shot, man! I'm a Stingray fan from Flea's time with them. I just got done playing with a 5 string HH Stingray that was buttery to the touch and more flexible than it's single pickup relative. What's not to love?

7. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    HH stingray

i own a single H stingray and i love it but i would trade it for a HH from my experience with them

8. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    metal = hh stingray to me , or single but not the bongo.

gospel or church use , clean music = bongo to me

9. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Even though I don't play many EBMM bass I'd say go for the HH 'Ray. Bongos are cool but I don't really like their looks. The Stingray has classic looks and feel plus the HH makes it really versitile. I find the single Hs lack the ability to give me the "full" tone I like, it'll sound like a Jazz on steroids.

I don't like the tone of active basses much (I really want a good passive Jazz) even if they are really versitile than most passives. I've tried most variations of the EBMM bass in GC and they were all awesome, just not my thing. Just make sure you try them out before you buy one to see if they're really the kind of thing you want.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I sold two Stingrays and now have two Bongos. Looks be damned, in the end, it's how the bass plays and sounds.

11. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Someone better tell John Myung his Bongo is too clean for DT :p :D I kid, I kid.

Seriously, you are incorrect about the Bongo not being a metal bass. In fact, the Bongo was the best metal bass I ever had.

12. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Were it my money, I'd got for the Bongo HH... This Bongo HH to be precise:

bongo.

13. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    looks like batman's new toy. :)
    niiiiiiiiiiice, i like!
    high 5!

14. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    None blacker!!! :D

15. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    wow thats a sweet bass, where can you get the black tuners? are them oem or aftermarket?

16. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Thats a factory stock Bongo in the "Stealth" finish . . . black pg, black tuners, black nut, black pickup poles, black bridge, etc. Put black strings on the bugger, and you won't be able to find it . . . .

- Tim

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Another pic to build Bongo GAS

[​IMG]

18. loweringthetone

loweringthetone

Jul 31, 2007
    UK
    Dont forget the Sabre ! Outdated, but not obsolete, those early pre EBs can be thunderously raw, and underpin a rock band with real power. Consider trying a 1979 Sabre if you can find one, in any state. Just check it doesnt sound like a mosquito or has a noisy pre amp. Wish I'd never sold mine........

19. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Carrots.

20. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I'm chomping at the bit because somewhere some UPS guy has my fretless Bongo to deliver.

Scott