Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sting thing!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pete_the_beat, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Being a great Sting and Police fan I bought a live cd with The Police. In the booklet I saw Sting on the stage with some kind of organ pedals at his feet. I did here theese kind of keyboard/organ sounds but I imagined that they had hired some dude to play this. If anyone knows what it is I would be grateful.

2. Souds like Moog Tarus pedals. They were essentially a Mini Moog synth and pedals. Geddy Lee from Rush and our own TBer JT also used htem.

-Chris

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Moog Taurus pedals were used by many in the 80s. The did not offer the wide range of sounds of a Minimoog, but they do have some great sounds and were a good way to keep from losing your job to the keyboard player. Also used by Chris Squire - Yes and Steve Rodby with Pat Metheny.

4. I am a HUGE Sting fan. I love the fact that he can sing falsetto (and mad harmonies) while still playing bass. Anyone else know of any similar exponents of this sound and dexterity?

On a more relevant-to-the-forum note, does anyone know what kind of bass he is playing in the inlay pictures of that 'Police Live!' album?It looks like a pale (possibly fretless) Gibson Explorer. It's 4-string.

I notice also that the video for his quintessential hit 'Every Breath You Take' features footage of him (possibly in the studio) playing a double bass. yet, the song does not sound like it features one. Can anyone clear this up?

Laters
    John Faulding

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The double bass in the "Every Breath" video is for effect. It's electric on the cut.

As for people who can sing and play, Mark King is pretty impressive.