sting through body

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by j b scott, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Hey all, my 5 string ESP bass has the ability to feed the the strings through the body, like i'm sure many other basses do.

The guy at the guitar shop recommended that i do not use the string though feature (which i adhered to) as the life of the strings will be reduced. Is that worth worrying about?

And also if anyone has experience with how using/not using this feature can change the tone of the bass at all?

This is so when i buy my first set of flats i know whether i should buy extra long so i can string them though the bass.

Thanks in advance :)
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Try as I might, I can't imagine how stringing through body will compromise the life of a string.

Tonally, it won't have much of an impact except that it can help deflection. By stringing through, you take stress off the bridge. You may get better sustain and better clarity.

3. It depends on the bass. I personally dont like stringing a B string thru body unless its a tapercore or exposed core. The angle the full core string has to bend thru is too great, and inhibits the vibrations of the string. I did A/B tests with the same brand B string strung both ways on a Fender Jazz Deluxe V, and in all cases of full core strings, the sound was better thru the bridge.
  4. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    My Ibanez ATK allows you to string the bass through the body or just through the bridge -- I always opt to string through the body. Gives more sustain and a fuller tone IMO. Once I tried it, I've never gone back to stringing through the bridge and there's no adverse effect on string life as far as I can tell. (You do have to make sure the strings you buy are long enough, however...)