Sting tone in Police

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pete_the_beat, Jul 7, 2004.

1. I've tried to do a search on this topic a few times but I didn't get any proper info.
    I want to know what type (or brand) of compressor Sting used and what type of chorus pedal. I really love that tone he gets from his fretless. Especially from their live cd, simply titled "The Police Live!".

Hope you guys can help me on this one.
  2. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    Used during the Soul Cages Tour:

Rotosound Swing Bass Roundwounds Medium (40/60/75/95)
    '62 Jazz Bass
    Beyerdymnamic System One Wireless Transmitter/Reciever
    Alembic FX-1 Preamp w/Direct Out (wet) to PA and FX Loop w/ Boss Oc-2
    JBL-UREI 7110 Compressor/Limiter
    Court GE60 1/3 Octave Graphic EQ
    Rane SM26 6 Channel Mixer
    Loft 402 2-Way Crossover
    Carver Amps
    Clair Bros Speakers
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know he used a TCF for chorus, dunno about the compressor.
    Fretless Musician basses have a very thick tone that naturally sounds compressed.
    Of course, chances are high that it was just compressed in studio.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I thought I read somewhere that he doubled his electric lines with a upright and then mixed the two signals.

I could be totally wrong though.
  5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    Yes he did in the studio but in the early days the live sound was either a fretless Fender P bass or Ibanez, or the fretted Jazz into a Ampeg which will give natural compression. He also used an 8 string Ibanez fretless.....nice.
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I thought Sting used his 53 P many times on the old recordings, yet you made no mention of it.

Do he use it then? Or was that bass bought later?
  7. Hi guys.
    Thanks for the input but doesn't anybody know for sure what type of pedals (stompboxes) he used for his live gigs with the Police. I know about the fretless Fender p, his red Ibanez, the Moog Taurus foot pedals and him bringing the double bass on stage for certain songs but I just can't find out which pedals he used :bawl:

8. Maybe it was a phaser you're thinking of, not a chorus. he used one a lot in the early days. Couldn't tell you what brand it was though. My personal fave is the Small Stone. Hope this helps. :meh:

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    The Police Live in Boston concert was probably a fretless Ibanez Musician. In the early days he used some Marshall bass amps and then went to SVTs. After that he has a hi-fi rig make up by TD Audio (?) using some Crown power amps and perhaps an Alembic Preamp. If you have the "Outlandos To Synchronicities" video you can see the evolution of his stage rig quite well. As for the chorus, I have no idea. It sure does sound great though! Hope this helps. :)
  10. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL

I want to say that too...I forgot where I read it, but I saw something like...any time you hear chorus on the early stuff it was a phaser. Don't remember exactly. Maybe an MXR Phase 90 or Phase 100?
  11. Jazz Ad

I must be transparent or something. :meh:
  12. Hey Jazz Ad.

Sorry if you got the wrong impression. I just wanted different opinions. I am definetly going to check out the TCF.

13. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    He picks with his thumb, which makes a different sound. I'm experimenting with thumb picking, gonna try it out with my band tomorrow and see how they like it. I really find it to be more comfortable than finger picking or using a pick.
  14. Jazz Ad

He also attacks BEFORE the drums, pushing the band forward and it helps making his tone bigger.