Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sting

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JLeeFJ, Jul 22, 2000.

1. JLeeFJ

JLeeFJ

Apr 5, 2000
    Good old Gordon Sumner. I love this guy. He's an excellent bass-slinger. He doesn't have the awesome technical skill of a lot of my favorites, but he always seems to have the PERFECT line for a song. Even on his more marginal tracks, the bass is so full of tone and emotion... it just makes up for anything else that may go wrong. AND I GET TO SEE HIM IN CONCERT AUGUST 30th!!!

Really, though, isn't he great? He sings very well over his lines, and is a walking hit machine (like that really matters). His newest stuff may not be as good as some of his Police stuff and his earlier solo work (Ten Summoner's Tales is a favorite of mine), but he still manages to pump out fairly unique, likable pop. Am I right?

------------------
    "We told you before, but you didn't hear us then. So, you still question why! You didn't listen again!" -Rush

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It was said best in his Bass Player interview.. He knows how to use space to his advantage.. He is capable of playing fast licks, but leaves a lot of space in his lines.. A lot of the younger superfast shredders out there could take a lesson from this..

And he's very tasteful in his note selection, too..

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Anyone who can write one great rock song in 7/4 time signature is tops with me. Sting wrote two. (Check Ten Summoner's Tales)

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >He doesn't have the awesome technical skill of a lot of my favorites, but he always seems to have the PERFECT line for a song.

I think you'd be surprised at what Sting is capable of doing. He chooses not to play a lot of notes but as noted, he always plays the right ones. I'd bet my bottom dollar that he could out play many 'virtuosos'. I know he had a deep appreciation of Jaco and has developed some strong ties with some serious jazz musicians. In fact, I believe they (Jaco and Sting) actually met at some point. In an interview I read, he was quoted as saying that he had been practicing something like 6 hours a day when he first heard Jaco. I don't think someone of his obvious musical talents could put that kind of practice in and not develop some really serious chops.

>and is a walking hit machine (like that really matters).

I agree wholeheartedly, and I can't for the life of me understand why people feel so apologetic about liking him. I really think that writing a 'catchy' quality pop tune maybe one of the toughest things to do. I find Sting's music engaging, thoughtful and extremely musical.

(Pedro, not being apologetic at all.)

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like Sting's bass playing; I like how he fused reggae feels in a Pop/Rock/Punk vibe. I mean, check out "Roxanne"...simple, but ya gotta lay out on the "1" [​IMG]
    I like Sting's odd-time stuff(maybe...MAYBE that was Coliauta's input on those tunes from TEN SUMMONER'S TALES; though NOTHING LIKE THE SUN has another tune in 7).
    Honestly, his previous album did nothing for me...Too, I haven't even checked out the new one(though that "World" tune is getting PLENTY of airplay). Me thinks he's settling into the "Adult Contemporary" market quite comfortably.

Pedro-
    I recall reading about the Jaco/Sting meeting; Jaco was talking about how Sting was turning him on to his new Steinberger.

6. JDBJJJP

JDBJJJP

Mar 3, 2000
    i would love to see sting in a band again. I have noticed that really killer artists have a tendency to build these huge bands. I would love to see sting in a two guitar drum and bass quartet. His music is very very tight an together, and i love it but i would love to hear his sound mixed with other peoples ideas however i don' think he would do it. From the sting behind the music i figured out he likes being a solo act. PS and i would love to hear more duets with branford marsalis(like the men strik back concert)

7. Yep, I love this guy's playing......he has a happy knack of picking the right notes and nuances. And like JDBJJJJP (I hope that's right), I'd like to see him back in a band. I know he admires players like John McLaughlin, and I think he could be very complementary playing with people like Pat Metheny, Scofield, et al. Frankly, he'd also kick butt with rock/blues people....I'd like to hear an album made by Sting and another of my favourite composers, Jimmy Page.

fwiw, gotta say I prefer his Police days to any other, but I'll take anything he dishes out.

Cheers

John

8. shirky

shirky

Apr 7, 2000
    Reading, PA, USA
    Sting is the bomb! I really love the guy's stuff, from the Police through to Brand New Day. Incidentally, Brand New Day has another song in 7 - check out "Fill Her Up" at the end - it's a rocking gospel meets Rush jam. He's a brilliant bassist and song writer.

I guess I would enjoy a new Police collaboration, but Sting could release an album of flatulence and I would buy it.

9. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Yeah Sting is totally underated as a bass player.

All those Police albums(esp. the first three) are filled with great lines that are good for bassists starting out to learn.

On a funny note, there's a bunch of different Police bootlegs out there where you get to hear Sting and Stew Copland fighting with each other on stage or saying weird stuff. On one of them before playing "So Lonely" Sting is kind of teasing the audience saying "I feel...,I feel so...I feel so.." and as Sting says this you hear Stew yell into the mike "like a t*at!" In another one they're doing this jam in the middle of Roxanne and apparently Sting is getting cold at the gig. He starts singing "I wish that someone would close the door at the back of the stage/It's giving me pneumonia/It's giving me pneumonia/Please close the door at the back of the stage/" then Stew chimes in with "for the sake of a New Zealand promoter." I don't know what that's all about.

10. Hey, yeah I've heard that one too! [​IMG]

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shirky:
    I guess I would enjoy a new Police collaboration, but Sting could release an album of flatulence and I would buy it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Shirk, I think a lot of TalkBass Members could offer you a bootleg recording of that. How much would you be willing to pay?

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

12. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
  13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, and many more experienced players could and probably do learn a lot from Stings mastery of space...

bum, ba, daaaaa - t, t, tttttt
    ba, ba, daaa - t, t, tttttt

(yes, that is walking on the moon.. :D :meh: )

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Sting is the S%#T.
    I"ll take his 54-P-Bass too.

15. I saw Sting on A&E this afternoon. Good stuff!

[​IMG] Treena

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I watched that too. I thought it was pretty good. Not quite sure he's got the skills mentioned in other posts though. When he's singing and playing at the same time, his timing becomes a little sloppy. Even Kipper, the keyboardist, mentioned the same thing. He is a very good musician and songwriter! I'm also very into that 'world' music style! Good music!

17. A&E in Concert
    Sting: Sacred Love
    Friday, October 3 at 8pm ET/PT

A&E in Concert: Sting: Sacred Love presents one of the most popular and successful recording artist and performers of all time. Sting has sold nearly 60 million records and has been awarded 16 Grammys during his career. This two-hour special program allows viewers for the first time to join Sting as he creates a new album. It includes rehearsals of the songs with his band at Sting’s Malibu home and the first public performance of the songs – along with older Sting and Police classics – at the Los Angeles Mayan Theatre. Viewers are also transported to Paris to watch Sting record in a studio.[​IMG]

;) Treena

18. LOL :D

Sting is awesome. I like his work with the Police a lot more than his solo work though. The Police are my second favorite band.