1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray 4 EQ : Rosewood or Maple fretboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shelby, Oct 24, 2005.

1. shelby

shelby

Oct 24, 2005
    Hi guys,

I'm about to buy a Musicman Stingray, 4 strings, 3EQ.
    My question is the following : which one is best a MAPLE or ROSEWOOD fretboard ??

Thanx in advance for sharing insights and experiences.

2. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    It really depends on the sound you're looking for - I've found the maple board stingrays I've played to be brighter with slightly more attack, but not by much. It should be pretty easy to get a similar sound from a rosewood board 'ray with a bit of eq. I bought the maple board 'cos it looked nicer (with loads of nice birdseye)!

3. shelby

shelby

Oct 24, 2005
    Thanks for the info ;)

4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    After 25 years of playing StingRays, I have become convinced that it's all about what LOOKS best to you. Maybe my ears are starting to go, but I can't detect a dime's bit of difference between rosewood and maple on a StingRay. I end up buying maple because I think it looks better.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Generally speaking, maple should be a bit brighter, with a bit more bite, but I don't know about on a Stingray. But I think maple looks better anyway.

6. shelby

shelby

Oct 24, 2005
    Thank you all.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maple looks good until the finish starts cracking. Then it looks like crap. Me, I totally prefer rosewood on any bass I own. I have one with a maple neck, but I hardly ever play it.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Except the current ones only have a thin oil rubbed finish that doesn't crack.

It's 90% about looks, the last 10% is tonal. I haven't noticed much of a difference in all I've played.

9. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Australia
    My 2 cents is that Maple has a snappy tone and Rose is darker.

Laquer necks went circa 1993. Since then, all necks are gun oil and wax finish.