Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 4 EQ : Rosewood or Maple fretboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shelby, Oct 24, 2005.

1. shelby

shelby

Oct 24, 2005
    Hi guys,

I'm about to buy a Musicman Stingray, 4 strings, 3EQ.
    My question is the following : which one is best a MAPLE or ROSEWOOD fretboard ??

Thanx in advance for sharing insights and experiences.

2. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    It really depends on the sound you're looking for - I've found the maple board stingrays I've played to be brighter with slightly more attack, but not by much. It should be pretty easy to get a similar sound from a rosewood board 'ray with a bit of eq. I bought the maple board 'cos it looked nicer (with loads of nice birdseye)!

3. shelby

shelby

Oct 24, 2005
    Thanks for the info ;)

4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    After 25 years of playing StingRays, I have become convinced that it's all about what LOOKS best to you. Maybe my ears are starting to go, but I can't detect a dime's bit of difference between rosewood and maple on a StingRay. I end up buying maple because I think it looks better.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Generally speaking, maple should be a bit brighter, with a bit more bite, but I don't know about on a Stingray. But I think maple looks better anyway.

6. shelby

shelby

Oct 24, 2005
    Thank you all.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maple looks good until the finish starts cracking. Then it looks like crap. Me, I totally prefer rosewood on any bass I own. I have one with a maple neck, but I hardly ever play it.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Except the current ones only have a thin oil rubbed finish that doesn't crack.

It's 90% about looks, the last 10% is tonal. I haven't noticed much of a difference in all I've played.

9. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    My 2 cents is that Maple has a snappy tone and Rose is darker.

Laquer necks went circa 1993. Since then, all necks are gun oil and wax finish.