1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray 4 H - Piezo or no Piezo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlarinde, Apr 24, 2010.

1. mlarinde

mlarinde

Apr 24, 2010
    San Clemente, CA
    I play a Fender J Bass, and I'm looking to buy a used MM Stingray single H. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the optional Piezo bridge pickup...

I don't see them often, but there are a couple of used Stingrays out there that have them for almost the same price as ones without. Are these Piezo's worth having and are there any issues with them? Any comments, suggestions, etc, are appriciated.

Thanks

Mark

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I've had a couple MM w/piezo. (Stingray and Sterling) To be honest, they just happened to be on basses that I wanted, as I wasn't specifically looking for piezo. Never had any issues. I play in a fairly loud blues/rock band, and probably never used the piezo for what it was intended. I just left it at middle blend, and never touched it after that. If I get another MM, it probably won't have piezo. That 5th knob looks cool though!!

3. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have piezos on my Carvin 5 string and to be honest, they don't sound very good. Adds a reverb like tone that really doesn't work for me. Now they may not sound like the Stingray piezo setup but I find it a useless feature on the Carvin for sure.

4. mlarinde

mlarinde

Apr 24, 2010
    San Clemente, CA
    Yeah, the second pot is a blend knob. I guess I could turn it all the way to the H PU and avoid the Piezo entirely.

I'm looking at a HH as well, which would prob be more useful in the long run. I just don't use that second H as a general rule, so I thought the Piezo would be a cool thing to have.

And you are right, that 5th knob is cool.

5. BassBoss

BassBoss

Jul 14, 2008
    The piezo adds some sounds that are high-frequent, and accentuates your attack a little bit, but it tends to sound harsh.