Stingray 4 HH or Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllGenres, May 18, 2007.

1. Stingray HH 4 string

46 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 4 string

36 vote(s)
    43.9%
  1. AllGenres

AllGenres

May 18, 2007
    Want to play all styles of music. Rock, Pop, funk, punk, blues, jazz, country, metal, disco, motown, R&B, reggae, fusion.

If you could only have one bass for the rest of your life yet sit in on all styles, which one? Stupid question I know, but indulge me.

2. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Both are versatile, high quality instruments. I suppose I would choose the JO, not because it is superior to the 'Ray, but because you can carry it into any musical situation and it will be perceived as an appropriate instrument.

3. IMG_0316.gif

4. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City based
    Branden Campbell
    Though I'd prefer the j-bass over the Stingray for what I do, you will get more sounds out of the HH. And for all those styles you listed, it would be nice to have a swiss army knife bass. The HH will be that bass before a jazz bass. IMO, YMMV, yadda yadda. But damn, that bass above looks stunning. Sign me up.

5. I would also suspect the SR's would have a higher resale value? Yes?

I voted SR. If you had said the single PU version I would have gone with the JO, but the HxH seems to be very versatile now.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I voted for the HH 'Ray. I own the 5 string model, and there aren't many sounds that it can't get fairly close to.

7. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Stingrays don't do warm and fat as well as a J bass, so if you could only have one bass, a jazz would always be my first choice. The fingerboard is probably going to be flatter on the 'ray, making it less suited to roots style R&B, reggae etc. ...my two cents

The HH does funk and rock like no other though

8. But I have to say that either one will fit in quite nicely in the styles the OP listed.

Do what I do, flip a coin.

9. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I'd vote for the 'Ray to cover all that ground. I'd drop an onboard in the JO if going that route.

10. The JO is closing in on the SR!

11. JO is much more appropriate for most of the styles of music listed. The SR are really nices basses but not appropriate for many of those styles.

12. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I have an older Ray with only the one humbucker and I have a Lakland 55-02 that I am absolutely in love with. I can't recommend Lakland enough, but in this instance, I am going to vote for the Ray. The HH combo kills and will cover anything you play and is more than appropriate for all genres. IMHO. Truly, you could not go wrong with either one although the JO will have that single coil hum unless you change the pups.

13. The HH SR is the way to go, you can easily cover all those tones with an HH model, the pickup switching options make that bass unbelievable versatile!

And with the HH you can get a Jazz style tone out of it :)

Im trying to figure out what listed genres it wouldnt work well with?

Rock - Any pickup choice will work, probably best with just the bridge, or with both full on.

Pop - Again, any pickup choice, ive seen lots of pop acts use a single H stingray !

Funk - Both pickups full on, oh yes

Punk - Probably just the bridge pickup, i like using both full on, or one of the single coil on each pup options.

Blues - Both pups on full, just works!

Jazz - Any pickup chice, the single coil options would probably work best tho.

Country - Just using the neck pickup, or both pickups on full, works great.

Metal - Any pickup option depending on what your needing to cut through.

Disco - In all honesty not sure what tone to look for, ive never really played disco, but im betting you could nail something!

Motown - Both pups full on work for this setting too.

R&B - Rythm n Blues or Rythm n Bass?, If Blues see above, if Bass the neck pup solo would work well

Reggae - Neck pup, treble down, bass up, thump thump thump ;)

Fusion - Not played much, but the single coil options on the HH would be the way to go.

But maybe im biased ;)
    P1010017-1.jpg

14. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Dude, those are smokin'!!!

15. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Jazz does reggea great, however, I am using my 2 on a Roots Reggae project as we speak and it does the job better then my USA JO

16. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    My GAS for one of these had subsided, but now it's welling up again!!

17. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    They are worth ever penny. Any for a USA Made bass the price is cheap bro. I always wanted a Sabre but could never find one in good condition. My wife bought me the black one last year for my 30th birthday and it is the only bass that I hold on to. It has something special about it. It also weighs 11.5 lbs which gives it great tone. My 5 only weighs 9.5lbs but doesn't have the punch like the 4 does

18. I have a chance to pick up a brand spanking new SR4 HH black with maple FB for just over $1100 bucks. I may just go that route.

19. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Stingray HH.
    I`ve played it live a couple of times and sounds terrific. Lots of tones to choose from, great versatility + classis SR sound.

20. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Go for it. Great price too!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021