1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray 4 HS or Warwick FNA Jazzman 4??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LightGroove, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Musicman Stingray HS

40 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. Warwick FNA Jazzman

26 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Other ideas in the versatility department

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. Hey now,

I love the look and versatility of both these basses. I'm wondering what the current consensus is on these basses. I'm also curious as to the quality and tone of these basses in single coil mode. I've searched and didn't see a whole lot. I'm not looking for a true jazz sound but something that can get fairly close. Oh I've tried the Lakland 44-02 route and its not my thing.

2. Well, I'd go with the wick but it will be much more expensive than the EBMM. If you have the money, get the wick. It's one of their not too heavy ( I personally don't think any wick is too heavy, but lots of guys here think that way ) and well balanced model. Can get a nice traditional tone and, obviously, something modern. The FNA jazzman is definitively the most versatile model warwick is presently offering.

3. My SR HS is VERY versatile. The single coil allows me to even get a very woody almost upright tone, which I didn't expect at all.

I use it for rock, country, slower acoustic stuff, hip-hop and It's perfect for them all!

Get the Stingray.

Oh, and I see you probably play in church, the Stingray is BOSS in a church worship setting. Seriously, this thing shines during worship-style music.

4. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Out of those two the Stingray is more versatile IMO, but they're both good basses.
    The Ray is also a little closer in sound to a jazz.

5. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Versatility: G&L L-2000. (Tribute or US, doesn't matter.)

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I personally prefer Warwicks over Musicman basses. But that's just me.

If versatility is key for you, check out the $$ Corvettes. There's more tone in those than you'll know what to do with.

7. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    i like the musicman, but i like the 2 band single humbucker version best...

8. Jazzman. Love Warwick, myself. The thing about Warwicks is the weight imbalance. Most of the weight is in the neck which forces you to hold the bass horizontally. Stingrays can be held anyway. imo, the Warwicks best feature is the neck.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I own both.

My Stingray is an HS and as far as versatility goes there is absolutely no comparison between the 2. The Stingray wins hands down. I'm certain that anyone AB-ing the 2 on a gig will agree without a shadow of a doubt. I believe the fact that the humbucker can be switched to a single coil and the pickups can be separated 5 different ways has a lot to do with it. There seems to be a lot more range in the frequencies on the EQ also.

The Warwick has it's sweet points, but but I wouldn't take it over the stingray. I believe there is a warwick growl that I don't seem to find in other basses I own, and I love that. It's got lots of bottom, and seems to get a bit deeper and darker than the MM but lacks the highs. The other thing I'm not too crazy about with the Warwick is it has that dreaded 60 cycle hum on the J pickup. The MM has a dummy pickup beneath the pickguard which cancels that out.

I also feel I can get the jazz thing going with the MM, but not so much with the warwick. The knobs on the Warwick seem to only go to about 8 - but on the Stingray they go way past 11.

My experience.

10. andymcclure

andymcclure

May 10, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I love my MM (which is the classic single pup style). My only tip is that I personally find the Warwicks to be less consistent... I've played some I love, others I can't stand, whereas every MM I've ever played has been very similar.

So, no advice on which to choose, but if you go Warwick, I'd say make sure you play the one you're going to buy.

I would say that if I was going down that road, I'd have to seriously consider a Bongo.

11. Perhaps a Line 6 Variax?

12. Hey now,

WOW...thanks for all the great input. I have owned a G&L L2000 before. Very good basses but I could never get over the buzz. Maybe it was just mine ...maybe not but the thing buzzed like no tom. Anyways the Warwick would be unplayable before hand so that kind of ends that. I owned a Thumb 4 and loved it but agree it weighed a ton and loved to neck dive. I could never find a comfortable spot with a strap.

The 60 cycle hum was my concern and that was well explained. Looks like things are in heavy favor for the MM.

Yes I do play in a praise band. Thanks for the heads up.

Blessings

13. Stingray all the way.......

14. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I know I'm not spot on, but I have a Sterling HS and a Warwick ash (read: light as a feather) passive 'vette. They are very different beasts. The Warwick definitely has that growl that Joe Nerve mentioned. I cannot coax that tone out of my Sterling, despite the fact that the Sterling is very agressive. I know you're looking at a 'Ray, but I would say that the MM are at least in the same end of the spectrum.

I would second the suggestion about the $$. Check it out. They are also ash, so they are lighter than the bubinga ones. And you can change the coils and the pickups.

My Sterling single coil has no noise when solo'ed. I think it's due to the phantom coil. But it does NOT sound like a Jazz, IMO. (That's what you said you're looking for.) It's also in the neck position - there is little substitute for a single bridge coil in a real jazz.