Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 4 vs. New P-Bass Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MascisMan, Jan 5, 2004.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey guys I am eyeing both of these at a local store. The SR4 is used at $995 and the new P-bass is new at $1200. The Stingray is natural finish with a black pickguard and the P is candy tangerine with a mint green p-guard. Both have humbuckers in the bridge and both have active 3 band preamps. Only big difference is the P-bass has the P pickup in the neck.

I know the SR4 has a strong track record, but what is the deal with the new P-Bass deluxes? Just as strong? Any new P-Bass deluxe owners on here?

I would be saving money with the SR4 but it is used....hmmmm

2. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    i too have just today compared them. I prefer the stingray.

on searching for my new bass, the stingry is the only one that feels just *perfect* for me. it really does feel like an extension of me, and not something i am playing, if you see what i mean. It really is all down to personal taste. I played the p-bass and a j-bass today and as soon as i played the first note i just thought "it's not quite me"

both exceptional basses, but just go with what feels like you.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That price is high for a used Stingray.

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    the price is kind of high for a used Stingray but it is in perfect condition and has the hard case which is perfect as well as the optional 3 band EQ. Not to defend the retailer or anything, but I know what you mean.

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i compared them orignally before i got my stingray becuase they look like the same thing but the fender has my second favorite pickup added. Didnt cut the mustard. It doesnt have the bite or growl a stingray has. The precision work also wasnt as nice on the...well precision. Id go with a stringray for rock. The precision was just too mellow for me.

6. wombolombo

wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I have both basses. If you want the Stingray sound, go for the 'Ray. The Fender basses sound great, but the humbucker on the Fender doesn't sound anything like the humbucker on the 'Ray.

The Fender is good if you want a P-bass with a little more punch and tonal variety.

I'm selling that Fender, by the way...

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    whats the info on your fender? price? pics?

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    not that im pushing u to buy the fender but my local store has a tasty looking 4 string version and a 5 string version. the website is www.guitars.cc Check it out.

9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Well, I'm certain that I'm in the minority but I prefer my American Deluxe P to a Stingray. I have played many a 'Ray and they are not quite my cup of tea. I prefer the sound, the neck, and the looks of the P. The first note I played on the P= instant karma. It is currently my favorite bass. I hope you find the right bass for you! :)