1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray 4 vs Old Smoothie

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by _Some Dude, Jun 25, 2017.

1. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    Looking at my next bass and am looking for opinions. I've demoed both and liked both.

I play rock/punk and the spit between fingers and pick is about 50/50. I'm currently using a J bass, which I like a lot, but sometimes wish it was a bit more aggressive sounding.

2. Stingray 4, Old Smoothie is exactly that- smooth. That's because the strings aren't directly over the pickup poles, meaning more sustain, but a more mellow sound.

3. Richard I

Richard I

Jun 22, 2017
    Italy
    I'd suggest you a standard, 3-band EQ Stngray 4.
    Personally, I don't like them because they sound too much "metallic", with a bit of extra edge for my tastes. Plus, the non-gloss neck is faster: they probably could help you in playing rock/punk music!
    Plus, if those old school colours and features (mute pads, vintage radius, etc) are not necessary to you, it's a way to save money...

Badwater likes this.
  4. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I much prefer the 2 band over the 3. The 2 band is so warm, but still has incredible mids if you don't abuse the bass and treble. It just has that modern, burpy bridge tone that is so great for fingerstyle and slap.

Based on what you are saying in the OP, I almost wonder if you would prefer a Pbass with rounds and a Geezer Butler pickup. Pbasses are so great with pedals too, so you can add even more grind to your tone with a good OD or Fuzz.

5. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    This.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  6. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    The smoothie is way too smooth for my taste ..the stingray is in your face which I happen to like.

Treb likes this.
  7. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    The thing that stood out about the 2 band is that it sounded pretty natural... but it was on the Smoothie and I didn't know how much of that was the EQ vs the smoothie pickup position.

The 3 band surprised me. I set it flat to demo and the mids sounded very fat. I didn't know what to expect, but it made me smile. It felt like I had to put in very little effort to get a lot of power out of it. On my Jazz I find myself aggressively digging in, whereas this Stingray I was lightly touching the strings.

I was planning on a P Bass, but I'm looking for a little somethin' somethin' that I can't quite put my finger on and as best I can figure out it's an active bass thing. I hear it as an aggressive attack and a metallic ping off the frets. The more old school version that's not as exaggerated what I hear in some modern recordings.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

The Old Smoothie can get that Stingray aggression, at least this one could.

Tbone76 likes this.
  9. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    I tried 2 of them at two different guitar center.and 1 at sam ash. I a/b them with the sr 4 stingray and there's was a big difference in aggressive sound , I think it would be even a bigger difference in a live band setting. Getting lost in the mix

10. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    How does a Stingray perform in a mix vs a P Bass or Jazz?

I've been reading that Stingrays can get lost in the mix, but the one I tried sounded like it had plenty of midrange with the EQ flat. Is getting lost user error? Or is it inherent to the instrument?

11. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    Interesting.

Today I went and played the same Stingray I liked so much when I started this thread and didn't like it nearly as much as I did before.

I went back and for for an hour or two between an Stingray 4 and 5, a pair of P Basses (MIA & MIM) and various J Basses (MIA active and passive). In general, I preferred the the various Jazz basses, followed closely by the P. I really wanted to like the Stingray and spent a lot of time fiddling with them, but I just couldn't find what I was looking for.

While disappointing, I may have just saved myself a lot of money.

Badwater likes this.
  12. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    And on a side note, I really wish music stores had demo band. That way I could test gear out in a mix instead of in isolation...

13. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017

In terms of recording, the mix is where the magic EQ and compression is done on the bass track. Most who mix bass don't let the bass get lost in the mix. The bass tone or sound in digital recording (in most styles of music), depends on the player, and how they attack and value each note. In most cases, when playing live, you can let the notes ring on without stopping it. With digital recording, the preferred bass tracks are punchy and tight where the player cuts each note clean before attacking the next. And this is done in time with the groove and drums. Thus, you have a wave form with spikes that are level, and tiny flat lines in between them. That's how a lot of studio players do it, and that makes for easy mixing with other instruments in the song.

As for the Stingray 4, it's a great bass for recording and live applications. If you're a former guitar player, the neck will feel right at home as there is not much taper and slim. If you like the taper of a Jazz, it may take some getting use to. But I like the sound of Stingray as it has that natural overdrive tone without distortion.

14. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I agree, always better to test it and be sure, than to have regrets.

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Tampa, FL.
    If you're getting lost in the mix with a Ray then someone is doing something wrong.

eastcoasteddie and AMp'D.2play like this.