Stingray 5 - After all these years....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, May 20, 2007.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I finally REALLY sat down with a couple. I never really tried them for long before because of the weight and the necks.

When I had my deal with Warwick I had two FNA Jazzman 5er's. They had the MEC "Musicman" Pickup and a J in the neck position. I was never a real big fan of the MEC pickups and when I used the "MEC MM" pickup it was just dark sounding to me. That is a big function of the Warwick wood combinations. Mostly the Wenge fingerboards. So when I had them I use that pickup split to a single coil.

About a week ago I went and sat for a while and played two of them. One was a standard MM and the other was an MM/J.

Holy crap do I like the tone of the MM pickup. WOW! Nothing dark about this one. Extremely punchy, great midrange, growly and surprisingly deep. I was really blown away.

I played them through a DB750 and a DB410 cab. This is the first time that I felt I got enough midrange from the DB750 and that it didn't sound overly wooly. To me the EBMMSR had the exactly midrange I always felt the DB750 (and my DB659 pre) lacked.

I still can't stand the weight (one was about 10 lbs.) and the round, narrow neck. Spacing is just too tight. And though the price is very low (to me), I won't buy an EBMM

I am going to borrow a EBMM SR 5er this next week and see if I really want that pickup config. I have already talked to Nino about one bass but I need to play a Valenti first. If it is as good as everyone says and is really close to the feel of my Sadowsky's it may end up being two Valenti basses. :eek: :bassist: :D

2. MM pickups are great, you should try the ones bassculture makes, especially the one on my Listerud. Fantastic placement, and fantastic pickup!

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    If I do this I would use Nordstrand Pickups.

4. midopa

midopa

Nov 26, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is there a reason why you won't buy EBMM? I'm just a noob here so maybe I missed something, but you like the sound and it's cheap(er) for you so why not methinks.

5. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    I think he already explained that:

"I still can't stand the weight (one was about 10 lbs.) and the round, narrow neck. Spacing is just too tight."

So he loves the sound, but not the playability, at least that's how I read it.

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Too heavy, chunky necks, narrow string spacing.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I have 2 Sadowskys, an MTD 535 and others (see profile). Yeah the MM 5'er is heavy, but it's a great Rock bass. I use it a lot in band practice and places I don't want to take a Sadowsky or MTD. Comparing them is really not fair, ( and I don't think Mike did) It has it's place in my collection, and you may like the neck and string spacing. He just doesn't.

8. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Bingo. Like I said, so far I dig that pickup. If by next week or so I still dig it then I will have Nino build me an MM/J Valenti.

9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I had a love-hate relationship with both of my old SR5s. In all honesty, I like the single H SR5 the most. The last one I had, the all white H/H with matching headstock and maple fingerboard, it looked and felt awesome.... but the 10 pounds was a put off. I tried everything I could to get it to sound good (to me) in the mix. I got compliments on the tone a few times, but for me, it just wasn't clear enough sounding with enough midrange content. Makes me raise an eyebrow when you say you liked the mids on the one you borrowed. Did it have rosewood board? On mine, I tried everything I could think of, including trying flats. Every time I brought it to a gig, and played it during the first set, I regretted not bringing my Ken Smith BSR5J. I am sure the new owner of the SR5 just loves it. It was a fine bass.

After playing my Sadowsky (J w/ singles) at a worship date this morning, there is no way I would even attempt to go there again (EBMM). The SR5 is such a quality product, and an astounding price, but it just wasn't/isn't for me. Now I'd like to try some Nordy MM pickups, maybe I'd like those better.

10. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I actually like the SR5 neck, and the narrow string spacing I can get used to. The weight, no way. I was feeling pain way too often. It wasn't bad while playing long sets, but that time between playing songs in church (standing there thinking about the weight), ouch!

I played an SR5 a few months back, which I actually really dug. I thought it sounded great, and it was only about 8.5 pounds! I didn't buy it because it had this really strange glue joint on the neck near the headstock. Looked off, so I didn't want to take a chance.

11. midopa

midopa

Nov 26, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    oooo ok. It sounded like you had a really bad experience or something in the past. Sorry, my bad. :bag:

12. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I love the punch of the SR5.. but like you say, i feel they are too heavy for me... I hate a heavy bass.
    My Sadowsky and Alleva coppolo are each about 8 to 8.5 pounds.. The Alleva somewhat lighter..

The one thing that i dont like about the SR5 is that the G string always rolls off the edge of the neck when i play one.. Does anyone else find that happening to them?

13. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    My older one had this problem, but the H/H I had last year did not.

14. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Yup, weight is my biggest turn off and I own two. Do most of them weigh a lot? They are not cheap basses, so I am surprised that EBMM doesn't filter the woods they use to be lighter, or at least some of them.

15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Rosewood boards so I am assuming it was alder bodies. I wish they were lighter and the necks were more to my liking because I could save a small fortune.

I should have also mentioned that the eq on the bass was set flat and the DB750 was also flat. Very aggressive and punchy with more low end than I expected.

16. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Everyone I picked up was pretty heavy. There was one Ash/Maple that was lighter than the others. I'd guess it to be about 9.5 lbs or jsut a hair under that.

They are incredibly affordable IMHO. About $1,100 for a nice 5er is very affordable to me.

17. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Cheap is a relative thing. If you look at the signatures of the posts here, you see a lot of Sadowsky and MTD, heck your bass has a Dingwall. In that world they are, let's say, less expensive.
    My band laughs when I call mine my cheap bass. It's a 30th anniversary and they see all the gold and start laughing.

18. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    Its not so much that their wood is heavier, but the size and thickness of their bodies.

19. My SR5 is 9.5lbs and it's adiamond in the rough to me. I love the tighter spacing, sound, and neck. Diff strokes... If you love the tone you should check how a Modulus Flea 5 or a Lakland 5502 with basslines feels.

20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Inactive

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    personally I need something under 9 lbs. or at least not over 9 pounds. Also, I won't play a 35" scale bass. The Lakland MM pickup is closer to the bridge also and not in the original MM position.

Thus why I will be ordering a Valenti or two if I go with an MM/J configuration.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021