StingRay 5 and Jazz.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FredC, Apr 14, 2001.

1. FredC

Apr 14, 2001
    US, Cleveland
    I am currently looking at purcahsing a StingRay 5. I had the chance to try one out a couple of weeks ago and was suprised by the versatility of the instrument. It was setup on a SWR350 head with a Goliath III and Son of Betha cabinets. I am also looking at a bass that could handle Jazz gigs.

Does anybody have any experience with the StingRay5 as far as Jazz goes ?
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If you get the Stingray5 be sure to get it with a Rosewood Fingearbord.
    I think that way it should be able to fit Jazz Gigs.
  3. FredC

Apr 14, 2001
    US, Cleveland
    I was definitely going for the rosewood, maple would have made it even brighter than it is.
  4. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I have a stingray 5 and a warwick 5 corvette with j pickups, the stingray smokes for jass and has the best slap sound of any bass i have played{you can get lots of sounds} i use my warwick more due to how comfortable it is to wear but the stingray sounds significantly funkier !
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own a 'Ray 5 and I think it's a great bass, especially for funk. But versatile is the last word I'd use to describe it. One basic strong sound, IMO. Killer, no doubt, but not much other than that one tone. You want versatile, get a G&L L2500.
  6. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I would say if it is new and under 1200 you should buy it.
  7. Rich Briere

Rich Briere

Jul 5, 2000
    Want the best of both worlds?....the Fender U.S.A. P-bass Deluxe 5. EXTREMELY versatile, lots of different and USABLE sounds, nice neck and easy to play. My other choices would be a Fender Roscoe Beck and the new MTD "Kingston" model.

Bass-ically Yours,
  8. I play mainly rock, so mine's a maple board. I do fiddle with some chordal work, and it's great for that as well. (24 fret fingerboard would've been nice. I think that's my only gripe).

As far as the 1 tone ax myth ;) , I can get a variety of sounds with it. Between the 3 coil settings, playing with the EQ and employing various playing techniques, I find it to be an extremely versatile instrument.

An all around great value, too. I payed $1200 for mine. It's a well made, great looking instrument with a killer b string, excellent mids and highs. For my purposes, this bass will not need to be replaced for as far as I can see. :)