1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray-5 B String volume ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gman, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I still love the new Ray, but have noticed that the B string is not nearly as loud as the rest of the strings. I'm sure that that is normal, but I wonder if there is any way of adjusting either the pickup or the pole piece for that string.

I can live with it like it is, but I would like to get some more out of that new string.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    hmm.. Try raising your pickup near the Bstring... My SR5 was set up when I bought It and the strings all sound pretty much even in sound all throughout. I have heard people Saying that the b is louder than the other strings also.. I think it just a matter of getting that pup adjusted.. Thats just my thought though... anyway

peace

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    My StingRay-5's B string is very pronounced. But in general all the strings are very well volume balanced. I've found that the B string on a good 5 string bass with active electronics does have a tendency to me more pronounced in general. I just roll-off some of the bass boost on the boost knob to compensate for it.
    I would go with Idiezman's recommendation to adjust your pick-up to see if that helps. If not you may have a B string that is dead, and needs to be replaced.
    Good luck
    Cheers

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I had 2 bad B strings in a row. They were Ernie Ball flats. Switched to Lakland flats and haven't had a problem since.
    Doc

5. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I backed the scres out about 1/2 turn on the b string side of the pickup, and now it's perfect.

Thanks guys.

Dave