Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray-5 B String volume ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gman, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I still love the new Ray, but have noticed that the B string is not nearly as loud as the rest of the strings. I'm sure that that is normal, but I wonder if there is any way of adjusting either the pickup or the pole piece for that string.

I can live with it like it is, but I would like to get some more out of that new string.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    hmm.. Try raising your pickup near the Bstring... My SR5 was set up when I bought It and the strings all sound pretty much even in sound all throughout. I have heard people Saying that the b is louder than the other strings also.. I think it just a matter of getting that pup adjusted.. Thats just my thought though... anyway

peace

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    My StingRay-5's B string is very pronounced. But in general all the strings are very well volume balanced. I've found that the B string on a good 5 string bass with active electronics does have a tendency to me more pronounced in general. I just roll-off some of the bass boost on the boost knob to compensate for it.
    I would go with Idiezman's recommendation to adjust your pick-up to see if that helps. If not you may have a B string that is dead, and needs to be replaced.
    Good luck
    Cheers

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I had 2 bad B strings in a row. They were Ernie Ball flats. Switched to Lakland flats and haven't had a problem since.
    Doc

5. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I backed the scres out about 1/2 turn on the b string side of the pickup, and now it's perfect.

Thanks guys.

Dave