Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

StingRay 5 blasphemy....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NicJimBass, Nov 29, 2005.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Okay, so, I screwed up... big time. I wish I had pics, but unfortuately I don't. Anyway, I have a SR5 that I wanted to make into a string-thru body bass. It seemed simple enough, as the screw holes on the bridge seemed to line up well with the 3 strings they are in line with. Long story short, my father-in-law and I took my bass to his garage and basically hacked our way thru the body and made it a string thru, just like I wanted. Now, it just looks like crap, and I want to reverse it, but given my limited knowledge of a repair of this magnitude, I am extremely hesitant.

Here is my question- should I leave this the way it is, as I intend to never sell this bass (never say never), have it professionally repaired, OR should I have a 2Tek bridge installed? Granted the last choice seems like it came from left field, but I saw one on a bass the other day, and not only does it look good, but it's supposed to improved sustain and such.

Anyway, I need your help. I'll try and post pics as soon as I can. Thanks!

2. I don't know about the rest of your question, but I was never able to find a FIVE string replacement bridge that was wide enough to cover the brass threaded anchors located under the SR5 bridge.

3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I doubt you'll see any increase in sustain over the SR5 bridge. That thing is solid and and firmly attached to the body. I would get it repaired myself, maybe with an interesting refinish.

Were you having problems with sustain?

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    No problems with sustain, I just like to tinker (or destroy, in this case) and tweek to try to wring every last bit of goodness out of an instrument. I've played with the idea of putting a 2nd pup in the SR5, but now that EBMM is going to make them, I'll hold off!

As far as covering the brass inserts, I thought of that too, but figured that I could always keep the 'screws' in, for an interesting look.

I want to get into lutherie as a profession, eventually, and this is one og the things I'll probably have to learn anyway. I think I'll try to reverse my mistake. Thanks!

5. the 2tek, imo, is insult to injury.

I'd leave it as is, unless you plug and repaint....just string it regular.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think the 2tek on a Ray could be completely killer! Rays don't have tons of sustain IME, and the 2tek would add some.

It would weigh a TON, but would probably sound very good, and I think the string spacing is about right on the 5er.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I read this post quickly, and read the word "repent" instead of "repaint" as I quickly scanned it. I think "repent" is appropriate, too. :D

I've screwed some things up trying to make them better, too. Fortunately, I've never gone after my basses, though . . . ;)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I know you can't see me right now, but I've been shaking my head for a full 2 minutes now. Trying to squeeze every last bit of goodness out of an instrument often results in exactly what you said happened to your Stingray. Live and learn, huh?

9. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    My sympathies, it probably seemed like a great idea at the time. Never had any complaints about the sustain on my SR5. If there was one thing I would change it would be the closeness of the G string to the edge of the fretboard. When I'm playing calmly I don't have a problem, but add the adrenalin of a live gig and I have slipped off the side a couple of times.

I still don't understand why EB designed it this way, but I do love the SR5 sound enough to put up with it.