Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    I just tried a vintage copy of a music man stingray 5 ( yes i am still searching for a fiver, still being the key word) brand new, mint condition for just under 200 pounds.
    It sounded nice and i liked the feel, the look and everything. should I go for it?

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Hang in for another couple of weeks and you will be able to buy a Korean made Music Man Sting Ray-5. These are apparently identical in specs to the American made originals. I'm told they will list for approximately $599.00 less the standard discount.
    Cheers

3. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Bassman,
    these new economy Music Mans are made by Ernie Ball? Are they making the stingray and sterlings in Korea too? If so, where can I see some pics and stuff and what are they listing for?
    Dirk

4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    The new budjet stingrays are made by ernie ball, but with have a different name on the headstock, like a Squier Fender type of thing. I have heard they are not indentical specs but cheaper passive models made from cheaper woods.

That is all I have managed to find out, there are no details on there website http://www.ernieball.com

I do know that there will be a 4 and 5 string version released, but no leftys :(

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    interesting thing. buy if these korean made stingray will have passive electronic and obviously different woods i'll hope that the will cost less than what you told. i tried the eko mm300 that is a musicman knockoff, i believe similar to jay turser. the bass is passive and the street price is less than 200 us$. the bass sound really good and for the price the craftmanship is really really good. i suggested this bass to a couple of newbie that take lessons from me. i see these two basses they bought 2 times a week and i played them. all that i can see is that they are a really incredible bang cor the buck. in september i'll buy one for myself too. obviously nothing comparable to the real thing, but a good and CHEAP wannabe for sure!

6. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    What I meant by the same specs, is that they will have the same neck and body dimensions. I didn't say that they would be made from the same materials as the US made StingRay's. My understanding is that they are active electronics, at least the prototype one that shown around town to the local Music Man dealers was. Wheather the final production version is active or not we will just have to wait and see.
    Ernie Ball is going to market them under another name but they will carry the Ernie Ball name as well on the headstock in smaller letters. There is obviously a large market for lower priced 4 and 5 string basses out there, or Ernie Ball wouldn't be getting into the market with these new off shore made basses.
    I am expecting the product to be introduced and shown this weekend in Nashville at the Summer 2001 NAMM show.
    Cheers

7. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    You seem to more about it then me :)

The Ernie Ball UK dealer told me that there are no leftys being made. Do you know if this is true? It could be that they can't be bothered to import any lefty models, a bit like the G&L UK dealer.

8. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Sorry agyeman, being right handed it never occured to me to ask if they were going to offer these in a left handed version.
    I have 3 excellent sources for these new basses, I will inquire tomorrow (Monday).
    Cheers

9. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001