1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray 5 - heavy tone - heavy bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jul 2, 2001.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have long been an admirer of the Stringray 5.
    I think it is one of the best (maybe the best)
    values in 5 string basses. One of the reasons
    I don't currently own one is the weight of the
    instrument - most are over 10 lbs. I was just
    wondering what the experiencs of Ray 5 owners
    is out there? Does the weight bother you or
    have you found solutions through good straps
    or anything? I've got a 70's P bass I don't
    play because it is too heavy for me (for sale
    if anyone is interested).

W.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    IF you think your p bass is too heavy, you probably won't like the stingray either. I play a G&L L2500. I love the bass, but it is heavy. No way around it. It is the nature. I use a 3" strap. It helps keep my shoulder from getting uncomfortable, but it doesn't help my back at all. I look at it like a Les Paul. It is part of the package.

I also use a Tobias Growler for a backup. It is very, very light. If I need a break, I switch to the Tobias. I have always played Fender-style basses. I guess I am used to most basses being heavy.

3. i am an owner of the stingray 5 and yes it is heavy... i think it depends on how big you are, how strong your frame is, and how you wear your bass. pretty much all of the fender type instruments are around 9 pounds or greater in my experience.

4. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I love my stingray five and I'm not bothered with it's weight other than when I'm traveling with it in a gigbag or a case.
    It could have something to do with me playing it sitting down, since I have disability... :) It has great balance too by the way.

5. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I dont think my stingrays are too bad but my warwick is HEAVY !!!!!!!!!!