Stingray 5 - heavy tone - heavy bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jul 2, 2001.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have long been an admirer of the Stringray 5.
    I think it is one of the best (maybe the best)
    values in 5 string basses. One of the reasons
    I don't currently own one is the weight of the
    instrument - most are over 10 lbs. I was just
    wondering what the experiencs of Ray 5 owners
    is out there? Does the weight bother you or
    have you found solutions through good straps
    or anything? I've got a 70's P bass I don't
    play because it is too heavy for me (for sale
    if anyone is interested).

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    IF you think your p bass is too heavy, you probably won't like the stingray either. I play a G&L L2500. I love the bass, but it is heavy. No way around it. It is the nature. I use a 3" strap. It helps keep my shoulder from getting uncomfortable, but it doesn't help my back at all. I look at it like a Les Paul. It is part of the package.

I also use a Tobias Growler for a backup. It is very, very light. If I need a break, I switch to the Tobias. I have always played Fender-style basses. I guess I am used to most basses being heavy.
  3. i am an owner of the stingray 5 and yes it is heavy... i think it depends on how big you are, how strong your frame is, and how you wear your bass. pretty much all of the fender type instruments are around 9 pounds or greater in my experience.
  4. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I love my stingray five and I'm not bothered with it's weight other than when I'm traveling with it in a gigbag or a case.
    It could have something to do with me playing it sitting down, since I have disability... :) It has great balance too by the way.
  5. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I dont think my stingrays are too bad but my warwick is HEAVY !!!!!!!!!!