Stingray 5 HH or HS for slap style?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Hey guys/gals, figured I'd consult the collective wisdom.

I'm thinking of purchasing a MM SR5 with either the HH or HS pickups. I like the original receipe, but extra spicy is nice once in awhile. My question is about using a convensional/modern slap style (ala marcus or victor) on the dual pickup musicman basses. I don't slap well at all right now, but I can fake it ok. I'm working through this technique in some of my lessons, but it will take me awhile to really own it. I'm very dependant on muscle memory, and I just haven't invested a ton of time into it yet. Anyway, it's on my wish list at some point. That being said, my current skill level limits my ability to put the suspect bass through its paces for this type of techniqe.

What do you think, go or no-go for slap on a dual pickup musicman? A test run earlier in the week shows that it shouldn't be a big deal with just thumb/pop stuff. However....

What about advanced techniques like double-thumb, double-pop? Hrmm.. pickup in the way. Could be a mixed blessing though, could keep too much of my fingers getting under the string, sorta like a ramp? I don't know, guess I should try them out some more.

Why a SR5, you ask? Because I want to give 34" scale and narrow(er) string spacing a shot. So far it feels great for the left hand, but the right hand isn't sure what to do yet :) Besides, I have always loved the SR tone.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Slapping the new HH SR5s is a breeze. I had no problems whatsoever.
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I have an HH5, and while there is nothing like a single pickup ray for slap ... the HH is fine. Its actually the pops that are different, not the slaps. The neck pickup rides pretty low in body, so there is enough space to get your pop on right over the pickup, and then there is the gap between the pickup and the fingerboard. Both work. The HS would have even more room if you went that route.

I really like having the neck pickup there for fingerstyle, in tone and for a tactile reference. Even if you use a floating thumb technique (which you should ;) ), its still nice to have the pickup there for a queue of where in the plucking zone you are. For fingerstyle, if the tip of my thumb is feeling the bridge side of the neck pickup on the HH, I'm in the sweet spot. Well, thats the other sweet spot. Thumb anchored on the bridge pickup is also very sweet and gets that clasic ultrafocussed ray sound.
  4. Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I would think that the HS would be a bit better---it would get you into jazz bass territory as well as doing the musicman thing.

My bongo HS sounds great for slap. To me it sounds like halfway between a musicman and an active jazz bass (I wonder why?).
  5. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yeah, my concern is not the sound. I know it will (and does) sound great. I'm just concerned that the actual physical bass is not conducive of that style (advanced techniques).

That being said, I went back to GC today. They had a bunch to choose from, but no maple board SR5 HH. I even tried a bongo for the first time and WOW, I was really impressed. Behold the power of the bongo.

How close is a SR5 HH to a Bongo HH? I dunno if I can get over the looks..
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play slap a lot and i ordered a HH and am not worried about it.

Soundwise, an SR5 HH and a bongo HH are completely different animals. Besides being made in the same factory, they have basicaly nothing in common.
  7. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    To my ear there were some similarities, but yeah, they were different. Wasn't sure if my the SR5 I was playing was typical or not. The Bongo seemed overall meatier in tone, yet brighter than the SR5. Like a wall of sound ready to destroy all those that dare to listen.
  8. RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    No matter which one you pick (which they both are good basses) at the end is up to you. You have to make it do what it do. You can do any technique with any bass you just have to change your approach sometimes. You have to find YOUR personal comfort zone with that technique. Untill you do that it doesnt matter what bass you slap on. My mentor always told me "a good player can make crap sound great so if your bass sucks make it not suck"

...that never worked though I still tried to buy everything.....

good luck