Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 is really a sterling 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Jun 2, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I know this has been brought up before, but i have proof now too. Not real proof but i was playing with photoshop at work and thought i'd show you guys the results.

The Stingray 5's pickup is in exactly the same position as the sterling 4's pickup. Both of these are about 1/4" farther from the bridge than the stingray 4's pickup. see the attached pictures for my reasoning.

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    and the pictures..
    [​IMG]

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What proof? It's not like Music Man has been denying it.

It's been discussed here enough times. Actually, the Sterling is a 4 string version of the Stingray 5.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    sorry, you replied before i had a chance to get the pictures up.

I've heard that the electronics were similiar, but I never knew that the pickup placement was the same. It's one thing to hear people talk about it, but another to actually see the similarity, for me atleast, so i just thought i'd share my findings. Sorry if it's old news.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    hehe.. some people have to much time on their hands... such a sad sad thing. :) nice job though..

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i was at work getting paid while i did it. I work in a computer lab and they like us to have a good familiarity of the software, so what better way than to play with pictures of basses?

and yea i guess i do have too much time on my hands.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that the pickup placement is why the 'Ray 5 just quite doesn't get the Stingray tone. It gets very close, but those few millimeters make a difference.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, Jeff, but conversely, it's why the 'Ray 4 doesn't get that Stingray 5 sound which, as a 5-string, is more definitive of the professional bass player's sound.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I love the Sterling, but hate the Stingray.

Maybe I should play the Ray5 before I post again.
    Ill do an A-B comparison and tell you what I think.

Peace
    Nick

10. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    the stingray 4 may not sound like the stingray 5, but the sterling 4 does.
    So if the sterling/SR5 define the professional sound, and the ray 4 is the GRR sound... i need to get myself the only remaining combo, the GRR 5 string.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

But of course! Anyone with half a brain knows that you have to play a 5 string to be a true professional.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's nice to run across someone with whom I am on the same wavelength, and vice-versa.

13. LMAO

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i mentioned this in the other thread, but i'll say it here too - why not? :)

the pictures are not to scale. the stingray has a 21 fret neck, the other two have 22 fret necks. since all 3 instruments have the same scale length, it's impossible for the pickguards to end at the same space.

the pickups on the sterling, stingray and stingray 5 are all at the same location, which would be evident if those pictures were at the same scale.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think ive actually seen measuremnts made which show that the pickup of the Sterling and SR5 are a bit closer to the neck.

From the sound I wouldnt doubt it. I definetly hear a bassier sound closer to that of a P bass from the Sterling.

I could be wrong though.

Peace
    Nick

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'll make certain - i'll go to a gc around here with a tape measure and measure the distances.

however, remember, the measurements to the neck are not going to be accurate because the necks on the sterlings and st5 have one extra fret, so they will obviously be closer to the pickups.

to get an accurate measurement, you have to measure from the bridge or from the nut.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    These measurements were from the bridge, and 12 fret if I remember correctly.

I dont even like measuring from the bridge because compensation on the saddles makes it a bit tricky to compare. 12th fret and nut work good for me.

Peace
    Nick

18. Gotta love that élitist attitude....

:rolleyes: :confused:

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    HUMOR!

Now available without smiley faces.

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i went and measured today and the pickup is at the same exact position relative to the 12th fret on both instruments - sting 4 and sting 5. i didn't get a chance to compare a sterling because they didn't have one.