Stingray 5 Neck Width/String Spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danqi, Jul 20, 2002.

1. danqi

May 21, 2001
    I know that the Stingray 5s have a fairly tight string spacing, but does this also mean that the neck width is smaller than average?
    How would you compare it to other basses?
  2. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The neck is slimmer than my Cirrus 5 by a little. I found the neck very playable. It is in no way as slim as an Ibanez. The B was also pretty good.
  3. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    About 4 months ago after a year of frustration I was going to have a custom 5 string neck made for my MM5 with the spacing from my MM4. A respected musical person I was talking to about this suggested that I have smaller hands. And if I took the amount of time I spent talking and reseaching bass and spent it practicing, perhaps I wouldn't have the problem. So I stopped commplaning about my situation and started practicing 1-2 hours every day and guess what.

I can fly.......I can fly.....(quote:..rudolph/reindeer)

Good Luck
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    It is fairly tight. If you look at the BP shootout most of the other basses are wider. I only have problems going from 4 to 5 so I spend a bit of time with it. I love the sound so stick with it.
  5. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    The 1 3/4" neck width and 11/16" string spacing fit me perfectly. I've had other so-called better basses i.e. a Lakland 55-94, but neither the wider neck nor the 3/4" spacing fit me. You need to try 'em to decide. Your playing style will dictate a lot. Fingers/pick/slap etc.