Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 or Flea 5? help me out....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok, in my opinion in no way is a standard flea 5 in anyway superior to a stingray 5, but what if the flea 5 had the optional 3 band eq? I used to have a flea 4 back before they had truss rods and the neck warped, but now from what I'm told they have truss rods. I'm thinking about trading in my Stingray5 for one of the above Flea 5's but am indecisive if it's a good idea(probabily a sign it's not). I'm a huge fan of the MM style pickups, what are some other bass options of quality outside of these two?

2. What's the reasoning for wanting to switch? Is it the graphite neck? If so, saving up and purchasing a graphite replacement neck for the MM is always an option. :)

[[​IMG]

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ya know, I think I need my head examined anyway for even thinking of trading in the greatest bass I've ever owned. It's perfectly suited to me and any how the SR 5 is so much better since in my opinion regardless of the selecter swith you've got options like replacment necks and such. What would be the pro's and con's to a grahite neck versus a maple one?

4. Amen brother!!
    It's a matter of preference. Graphite has superior stability (usually) and there are differences in tone. In other words, the maple may sound better but be susceptible to warpage, while the graphite shouldn't warp but may sound more sterile. Depends on the listener though and what sound you're after. I prefer the maple neck and fingerboard myself. :)

5. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think I'm gonna stick w/ the wood as well but I got to go with my rosewood fretboard though. Thanx Stingray, but just out of curiosity and the pursuit of more bass knowledge, do ya know if Status or Moses even use trussrods?(or Modulus either now for that matter? I had heard modulus did.)

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a Stingray 5 and I used a Status 3000 (wood body grphite neck ) for 9 years. I tried a Modulus (dont know what model) and these things are BRIGHT.

My Status never went out of tune even when I left it in the car overnight (never done it to a bass since) I would fit strings tune it and tune it again next string change. I played outside gigs in the snow, sweaty clubs/pubs no problem.

In my experience and opinion Musicman basses are excellent and so are basses with a graphite neck. Ironically when I tried a Cutlass I was underwhelmed. I have this idea of constructing a Jazz with a Status neck Barts etc.

Status didnt use truss rods when I went to the factory in 88. They 'profiled' the fingerboard ie shaped it to get the right relief. Mine serial 53 (where are you now?)
    warped just after a year. Status replaced the fingerboard although I think they replaced the neck and gave me a new set of Elites. They did give me the strings that is:)

[Edited by CS on 12-13-2000 at 02:47 PM]

7. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So basically what your telling me Chris, is Status does'nt use trussrods but they'll replace the neck for free WHEN it(and it will) warps and give you a new set of strings?..... What a rip off. That's great when you have 2 or more basses but what if you don't and your not willing to send you bass half way around the world (probaly on your dime) and be without it for weeks. Now mind you in my case I have a backup but it's just that. In no way can my Ibanez replace my Stingray, ya know? Do you think brights a bad or good thing? In other words would you trade your stingray for one? I think I'm happy where I am with the wood neck at this point. Thanx though.

8. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    try out a warwick fna...it sounds better than a stingray..and looks cooler too. if you want versatility as well as the MM sound, check out the Warwick FNA Jazzman, same MM pu but also has a jazz pu for more sounds

9. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I tried them out before I bought my Stingray 5. Great wood, sound and had the stingrays punch but the neck radius reminded me of my Ibanez 5's which really only means if you want to slap, your fingers had better be pencil thin(strings are super close together). Great if you want to use some of the same chords guitarist use.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've tried a lot of Status basses in the Bass Centre in London and they all seemed to have truss rods. I would go along with the graphite neck as "sterile" - to me they sound "overbright" and maybe even "tinny" or metallic - not much warmth. I sadi in the thread about RHCP on TV that I think Flea must have chosen this bass for strength rather than tone and a few other people agreed. The big thing about graphite is it's rigidity and the fact that it's virtually indestructible!

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Fixer

I forgot to mention that they gave me a loaner.

I would look at each bass on its own merits and what you want from it. I have always regretted selling basses especially the Status even the 78 P which was not brilliant. I'm getting tearful now :)

12. Hmm.. I must be about the only person that likes the Modulus FB's tone a lot.. and I own a Stingray.

13. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I to own a stingray, but what about the flea bass did you like better(or more)?

14. I'm telling you, for the sake of Mankind keep the Stingray.
    The flea Bass Sucks. That's right,I said it SSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSS