Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

StingRay 5 or G&L 2500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sdguyman, Mar 14, 2003.

1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    If you were going to purchase either of these two basses, The StingRay 5 or G&L 2500 which would you get?:D

Please don't say neither, just choose 1 and why.

Thanks

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Though I may be in the minority on this one, I far prefer the tone and feel of a G&L when compared to the Stingray. Never could warm up to the Stingray, they just feel so awkward to me for some reason. I also think it's easier to get a good sound out of the G&L with most amplification setups out there, of course, YMMV.

3. G&L is the real fender after all!

4. The G&L's a very nice bass, and it has the cachet of being a more unusual instrument, but the StingRay5 for me is the dogs danglers.

IMO there a very few if any negatives about the bass - in fact I just can't fault it at all! :D

Some people moan about the string spacing, and I'll grant you that if you're a slapper (no offence meant) it may prove a little tight, but you'll see sense, persevere, fall in love with it, and then sell all your other basses!!! ;) (just kidding)
    [​IMG]

5. I had that decision to make last winter. Both are quality instruments, both sound great and play well. Each has a distinctive sound, the G&L is probably more versatile. I was all set to order an L-2500, but I was lucky enough to be able to play both basses in the same store. I found that the Stingray 5 suited me a little better. I also thought the SR5's B-String was a bit better. It also helped that found a used Stingray 5 in mint condition locally for $800....;)

FWIW, I think the string spacing is the same, they're both pretty tight...

I honestly think that you can't go wrong with either!

6. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I would have to go with the Stingray5 also it was a hard choice me I had spend about six months going
    back between The L-2500 and the SR5 and also looked at the Roscoe Beck .I played all three back to back a many times and I went with the SR5 . Some people say that the SR5 is a one trick pony
    I get all the sounds I need out of the Stingray.

7. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'd order a G&L w/ the wider string spacing :cool:

I just can't take the tight spacing of the SR.

9. Unfortunately, the 5 string G&Ls are only available with one neck profile. 1 3/4" at the nut, same as the SR5. It would be nice if they offered other necks....

10. I chose the Stingray 5.

The G&L does have a broader range of tones, but I tend to use one setting and play the strings a little different to get different tones. To my ears, the SR5's basic sound is more appealing than the G&L's. I thought they both felt and played very similar.

I'd agree it's a "you can't really go wrong" choice. Both are well made, great sounding basses.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'd go G&L all the way! Way more options in tone.

12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    sr5

plenty of tone options. use your hands, the eq and the toggle switch.

13. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    with that being said,you have to use more than just your hands and the toggle switch to get real good tone out the sr5 IMO.tTrue the sr5 does have more than 1-type of tone but I dont know if it has plenty.It seems to me no matter what you do to try and shape the tone it still has very faint highs and a very zingy preamp IMO the G&L is much smoother and sounds more focus

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    by FAR the g&l. the ray is fine, but the g&l is way more diverse tonally, and i like the way they feel much more.

15. jbandbabyj is dead on.

At the end of the day, it's horses for courses. Try both.

The Ray5 works for me in any musical environment from jazz to rock - and I don't change my settings, just keep them flat. I tailor my playing to (hopefully) suit the style of music. Ray5's have a very sweet and fruity tone in them, amongst others. They're not just zingy, ballsy one tone wonders.

16. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I have to sa I agree about the SR5 not being a one trick pony.

This last Thursday, I played a showcase in Tacoma for a booking agent and I was the only one who didn't use a Stingray 5 - the 3 bands before us each used one, and while I didn't stay for the last band, I saw a different SR on a stand when I was pulling out my gear. 3 different players, 3 different tones.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I thought I'd toss my .01 into the fray (only half of the standard worth because I've only played one of the listed basses).

I was at the music store on...Friday, I think, and played the G&L you asked about. Great sound, amazing feel, light...etc. The only, only thing I didn't like was that there was a bunch of fretbuzz at the 12th fret -- but that was just caused by a crappy technician. The bass was absolutely fantastic ;).

18. mostho

mostho

Aug 23, 2002
    Italy
    Your choice have to be G&L. More quality in general than a MM, more tone possibilities, more sustain, no floppy B, great feel, rock solid contruction, and wow... "the sound".
    No matter what you spent for a bass, G&L sounds everytime distinctive.

I felt in love when I saw the G&L played by the Toto's bassist in a videaotape.

Trust in me!
    :)

G&L is the choice and the value!

Bye!

19. KAC

KAC

Oct 9, 2002
    I too went through the same choice last year. The G&L felt completely solid and tight. I tried a couple of MM's at GC. Side by side, same model, same neck, each one sounded different (different body woods? perhaps). The next day I went to Buffalo Bros and ordered my G&L. Haven't put it down since. My poor old Jazz bass just sits in the corner now. :bawl:

20. ddayseb

ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    having owned both, i think the g&l's tonal versatility is real and useful. that said, the b is a little bit floppier, and the neck is a little chunkier. though i have smaller hands, the bigger neck is worth what for me is substantially better sound.

or maybe just save yourself some money and buy a reverend brad houser?