Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray 5 or lakland skyline 5501

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceremony74, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ceremony74

ceremony74

Sep 27, 2004
    hi. i already have a l-2000 which i really like. now is the time to get a 5 string bass and i was looking for a stingray 5, when i saw the price of the lakland skyline 55 01.
    how do they both compare? laklands are very hard to find in Brazil, so if i decide to go for it i will have to buy it online and import it which means i don't have to play it at the local music store.

2. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've played both, and I LOVE the Lakland...I can dial up a bunch of sounds with it, and it plays like butter.

You can't go wrong with a Stingray for sure, but I prefer the Lakland. Great value for $$

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Quality wise, the MusicMan is better finished with a more comfortable contoured body. Soundwise, they are not similar. The Stingray sounds like a Stingray while the 55-01 has a compressed, modern sound. The 55-01 sounds very good live and has a powerful output. It cuts through quite well. I think the Stingray is more verastile in a subtle sort of way and it is very comfortable to play. One other big difference is that the 55-01 has wide string spacing and the Stingray has pretty close string spacing. Finally the 55-01 is about $500-700 cheaper than a new Stingray. That could make a difference since you are purchasing overseas.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've messed with both, & bought the lakland... only because the SR5 was more expensive & I got what I wanted w/ the 55-01. At some point, I probably will own an SR5 tho.

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I came down to these choices myself and went with the Lakland. I had the money for the Stingray but...the Laklands string spacing was dead on or me. Also the neck was more comfortable with the satin type finish. I would like themore aggressive tone of the Stingray but I can get it through the E Q and pedals I have when I want it. he bonus was that it was cheaper by $500 and i was able to buy some iother goodies I had been GASing for. Can't beat that.