1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

stingray 5 or lakland skyline 5501

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceremony74, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ceremony74

ceremony74

Sep 27, 2004
    hi. i already have a l-2000 which i really like. now is the time to get a 5 string bass and i was looking for a stingray 5, when i saw the price of the lakland skyline 55 01.
    how do they both compare? laklands are very hard to find in Brazil, so if i decide to go for it i will have to buy it online and import it which means i don't have to play it at the local music store.

2. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've played both, and I LOVE the Lakland...I can dial up a bunch of sounds with it, and it plays like butter.

You can't go wrong with a Stingray for sure, but I prefer the Lakland. Great value for $$

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Quality wise, the MusicMan is better finished with a more comfortable contoured body. Soundwise, they are not similar. The Stingray sounds like a Stingray while the 55-01 has a compressed, modern sound. The 55-01 sounds very good live and has a powerful output. It cuts through quite well. I think the Stingray is more verastile in a subtle sort of way and it is very comfortable to play. One other big difference is that the 55-01 has wide string spacing and the Stingray has pretty close string spacing. Finally the 55-01 is about $500-700 cheaper than a new Stingray. That could make a difference since you are purchasing overseas.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've messed with both, & bought the lakland... only because the SR5 was more expensive & I got what I wanted w/ the 55-01. At some point, I probably will own an SR5 tho.

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I came down to these choices myself and went with the Lakland. I had the money for the Stingray but...the Laklands string spacing was dead on or me. Also the neck was more comfortable with the satin type finish. I would like themore aggressive tone of the Stingray but I can get it through the E Q and pedals I have when I want it. he bonus was that it was cheaper by $500 and i was able to buy some iother goodies I had been GASing for. Can't beat that.