Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 or Rosoce Beck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harpo, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Keep the SR5

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Get Roscoe Beck

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  1. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I have been wanting a Roscoe Beck for a while Should I trade my SR5 for one or keep the Ray bulding a new house so money is tight can't have both right now

2. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Keep the SR5.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been itching to try a Roscoe Beck, but I would never trade my Stingrays.

5. give it a little more time, mess around with the RB5 and decide for yourself...I know that the majority of TB will tell you to keep the SR5,though.

6. RB5

*droooooool*

i would imagine they are very different beasts, so i would say its up to you, we cant tell you anything other than what we would do.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Mike, what's this about you wanting a Roscoe Beck! Are you really ready to get rid of that gorgeous SR5? What gives?

8. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I guess it just GAS but on budget no cash to buy a new bass and too much free time to think

9. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    do the deal - i did

i traded a SR5 plus cash for a sunburst RB5 and have never regretted it - although afterwards I did buy a fretless SR5

10. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Now folks the SR5 with a early lead but now look the RB5 pulling up from behaind they are neck and stay tuned folks!!

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd do the trade, athough a used SR5 should bring a little more than a used RB5. You'd better play an RB5 first, though, because the feel and sound are quite different from the SR5. I own both, and prefer the RB5 for its playability and tone.

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think Harpo has played mine unplugged and that started the ball rolling!
    But if he does the trade someone will get one special bass, He tried to get me to jam with it but I just can't get used to playing on the pup that far back. Also the spacing at the nut was a little tight for me, but that would only be a minor adjustment. If I was going to buy a SR5 that would definatly be the bass I would buy.

13. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I just spent the last hour playing this SR5 of mine what am I a nut how can I get rid of it .
    It looks like trans-teal under light but it is actualy tran-blue .

14. Hey, if I were on a budget and I had my wits about me, I keep the SR5 and wait for a while for the RB5. If I still wanted it after a year, then I'd pull the trigger. But that's just me. Of course there have been occasions that my lust overruled my brain.

15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Given that

- money is tight
    - you'll lose on any trade
    - both basses are good ones

Keep the SR5 for now.

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey did I take that pic, that pic does the bass no justice. That bass is actually bluer than that. Hey harpo I miss that place!

17. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I don't think you were their that night . Where
    have you been haning we got to get to gether one of these days

Mike

18. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I love the RB 5. Although it is according to your style. The SR5 has a much narrower neck and would probably be a better slap-funk bass but the RB5 gives you a wider variety of tones . The RB 5 has a wide neck that is much different than the SR5. Try the RB 5 to make sure it is compfortable to you.

19. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't have a ton of experience on an RB5 and admittedly have never owned one. I've played several at Sam Ashe and at Guitar Center. Personally, I switched from an SR5 narrow more rounded neck to my F Bass BN5, flat wide neck bass after two sets the other night. The SR5 sounded great....the F bass also sounded great and is more versatile.

Versatility is the key to my gameplan. Not to keep switching tones drastically song to song or set to set, but being able to get a more consistent tone venue to venue. Since I'm not miced through the PA system, I need the bass to have on board tone shaping.

The stingray's tone is not that flexible. It happened to work exceptionally in this club last Friday. There are other places that I can't get zeroed in with the SR5 but can with the F bass everywhere.

My advice is that if your hands, like mine, seem to not notice the string spacing differences, or aren't picky about pickup placement/where to anchor your picking hand thumb, I'd opt to get what gives you a more consistent tone in more places. If the passive RB5 with all it's switches and pan controls etc. can give you a consistent tone, more places, that would be my advice.

Since I have a bass that is already versatile, I picked up the SR5 for a VERY reasonable price, used 4 months, white sparkle, white perloid pickguard, and matching white sparkle headstock for $900 delivered. Rosewood board by the way. It's quite flashy looking for an old fart like me to play, but I've always wanted one in this color scheme. It sounds great in the right circumstances.

I'd probably keep the SR unless you absolutely feel from playing and hearing the RB5 for several hours, that it just really sounds and feels significantly better....otherwise, keep the SR5, save your pennies, and look at a used Lakland, Sadowsky, or F bass in the future.

LKaye

20. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I am keeping the SR5 as much as I love the RB5 I remember doing a side to side before getting the Ray. The Ray is Still my favorite 5 I think I will wait to check the 4 sting version when my finance improves.