Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray 5 or yamaha trb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Murf, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi guys, I need a little guidance here, I need to take the plunge into the world of 5 string basses, now where I live the choices are warwick, fender, musicman or yamaha. I've narrowed it down to the stingray5 or the yamaha trb 5p 2 but I cant decide between the two. I'm starting touring fairly soon with a "show" and the stuff is kinda soul funk(ish) so I need something with a fair bit of punch and growl and a well defined low B.

The main problem is I can only try these instruments in a shop setting so I have no frame of reference how they'll sit with a full band (the touring band is made up of 15 musicians) so I really need ideas from guys/gals who have gigged these instruments

cheers

Murf

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've never played the Yammy.

I have an SR5. That thing cuts through like nobodies business.

The B string in tight and very well defined.

Go here
    http://archive.bassplayer.com/index.htm

BP did a 5 string shoot out in 97.

Read what they said about the Stingray 5

It is 10 pounds of gut and glory.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

What kind of material is your band playing?

I have owned both basses. The Yamaha is definitely the more versatile of the two. It has nice tone and playability. Not too hard on the eyes either.

The MM, while not as tonaly versatile as the TRB, the MM can still get some great tones. It is esp great for "cutting through." It is also one of the best built mass produced basses out there. I have owned a few MM Stingrays and they can take serious road abuse. I still have a Stingray 5 fretless and a 78' Stingray and both are not going anywhere from my collection.

In the end, pick whatever bass sounds and feels to you. Trust your gut.

4. Stingray 5 all the way. The only drawback is that its neck spacing is a little more narrower that most 5 strings, so you'll have to adjust your slapping technique a bit (make your thumb more parallel to the strings so you don't knock the other strings and you'll be fine), but the tone can't be beat.

If you can find a pre- '92 SR5 it's even sweeter, they have the alnico PUs just like the Stingray4s. The post '92 models have ceramic PUs and sound slightly different.

5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had a TRB5 and I used it in a 10 piece R&B outfit doing Motown, TOP, Santana etc. the bass was terriffic and I never had any problems in the mix. Plenty of tone and the B was sweet! I wish I still had the bass. I ran into one of the guys in that band and he mentioned how he loved that bass. I don't see you going wrong with either bass. Good Luck!!

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    You mentioned punch, growl, and funk:

RAY!

7. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Thanks for the input guys, It's funny but a few months ago I would've just gone for the SR5 with no hesitation until I heard the Jamiroquai live in verona dvd and Nicks bass sound kicks almighty ass in it, I assumed he was playing a 'ray until I copped the Yamaha trb... :eek:

So I managed to try one out in a local music store and I must admit it impressed the hell out of me. My biggest dilemma is that I can get both basses for around the same price and although I love the sr5s I think (for me) the yamaha just seems a little more versatile tone wise. (the show I'm starting touring with has a mixture of soul, funk, rock and (Paul simon) Gracelandesque tunes)..

So the Yamaha seems to be the one I'll go for (for the moment anyway...I used to be indescisive..now I'm not so sure :D )

8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Stingray 5.

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    SR5. It will allow you to do all that a TRB can do, but it will also allow you to do much more.

10. LoRida

LoRida

Apr 15, 2003
    Poland
    I'd go for the Stingray5 - it's a killer!!

I played a TRB for some time and now I own a StingRay5 for a week now and I can honestly say that the Ray is way better.