Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 Piezo or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleestak, Jan 19, 2004.

1. I am ordering a SR5 in the next couple of weeks and have a little problem. I got some brief info on the Piezo option, but have never been able to actually find it in stock anywhere so I could play it and hear it for myself.

I like the idea of having some different tonal options, but it is a $400 dollar option according to GC and they are much harder to find and take a lot longer to order than a non-piezo Stingray 5.

Can anyone tell me more about the Piezo and what it does? The money isn’t really an issue if Piezo really adds some nice sounds to the Bass. I just don’t feel like waiting three months to order one without really knowing more about it!

George

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Unless it's a fretless, I've found piezos to be a waste of time and money. This is JMO.

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    There are all sorts of ways to describe the changes in tone, but the easiest way to put it is that the piezo adds a little 'air' and reduce a bit of the growl.

Completely lost in a loud rock/blues mix, but might be handy for working with acoustic guitars and such. I never used mine.

4. I also finds it helps a lot playing chords. I would recommend it because I find it useful to give you more versatility. The humbucker can be troublesome for some styles simply because it's so cutting, but the piezo basically helps cut the mids and some treble for when you need it.

5. Thanks for the advice!

I just wish I could find one at a music store so I could give it a try!

George

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I second what Woodchuck said.
    fretless piezo
    fretted no peizo

7. if you are going to use it, but I have never found much use for a piezo on a fretted bass. I think a piezo has a much better effect that you can really notice on a fretless.